Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough

Default Example code in API docs. Your chance to contribute.

Example code in API docs. Your chance to contribute.

People are always asking for more examples in the API docs.

So, here is your chance to contribute.

If there is an ambiguous, or tricky method, config, event or property that you have discovered and used, then post a code snippet of up to 20 lines which gives an example of its usage.

Please keep the snippets to the point. Please use comments in the code.

Format it using Ext standard indentation and {},[] wrapping style. Use spaces for indentation. 4 spaces per indent level.

I will monitor this thread and try to put the contributed code (Or edited versions) into the API docs in the correct place.

Be sure to include the full specification of where, which class + config/property/method/event the code is to illustrate.

Edit:
    Unfortunately, all code sample to be integrated into the documentation must include a public domain license grant at the top to satisfy questions like this.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Scorpie will become famous soon enough

Awesome! I will look into my codebase tonight when I get back from work!

Banned
    Vote Rating
    buzz is on a distinguished road

Under what license is the contributed code snippets going to released?

Vote Rating
    Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough

It's just example code!

Sencha - Community Support Team mystix's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mystix will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Under what license is the contributed code snippets going to released?
    tell me you're not serious...

Banned
    Vote Rating

mystix, are you suggesting that contributions of code snippets to enhance the docs are not really contributions to Ext? Is it not going to be bundled with Ext? Just trying to follow your rationale on why you think this is not a serious matter.

Sencha - Community Support Team mystix's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mystix will become famous soon enough

well, i really don't+can't see the difference between posting a complete example on the forums and cloning that example in an API.

it is, after all, an example. you're not posting propriety code online to be viewed by the community.
    you're volunteering an example.

Vote Rating

If you want to keep your code secret, don't post example snippets on this thread.

If you want to contribute to the excellence of the Ext API docs, post example snippets on this thread.

Seems simple to me.

Banned
    Vote Rating

For e.g., I write a new widget or plugin and don't want to keep my contributions secret but rather post it on the forum for the community. This does not mean that Ext can take it and include it in their product and sell under commercial license without a signed CLA from me. The same logic applies to this thread. You cant simply bypass the legal process by stating "if you want to contribute to the excellence of the Ext API docs, post example snippets on this thread."

Vote Rating
    dantheman is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    For e.g., I write a new widget or plugin and don't want to keep my contributions secret but rather post it on the forum for the community. This does not mean that Ext can take it and include it in their product and sell under commercial license without a signed CLA from me. The same logic applies to this thread. You cant simply bypass the legal process by stating "if you want to contribute to the excellence of the Ext API docs, post example snippets on this thread."
    With respect, get over yourself.

--dan