Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jarcher is on a distinguished road

Default Very confused about what is what - please help me out

Very confused about what is what - please help me out

Hi All...

I am sorry to ask this question, but I have been banging my head against a wall all last night and so far all evening tonight trying to get GWTEXT to work in my dev environment. I just want to be able to use Eclipse.

But as I go through the wiki and other demos, I find that I am confused about what I am supposed to be installing and what it all does.

What is the difference between Gxt and GwtExt? I see GwtExt is at ver 2.0.3 while Gxt is at 1.0.3. I also installed the Cypal plugin for Eclipse but I am not exactly sure what it does.

I also tried to use the GWT aplicationGenerator to make an Eclipse project, and that worked fine, but once that was made I could not figure out how to ass Gxt/GwtExt to it so I could build it.

If someone would point me at some docs that just make clear what is what, I would really appreciate it, so then I would know which wiji entries I should be reading at least...

Vote Rating
    sheesh-kebab is on a distinguished road

GXT or Ext GWT is 100% GWT/Java project developed by ExtJs and based on previously available library called MyGwt.

GWT-EXT is an ExtJs derived project and developed independently from ExtJs. It uses an older version of ExtJs javascript library and wraps it with GWT/Java.

How to setup either of these libs in Eclipse is probably covered in the how-to tutorials for them, but regardless I would not try to mix these 2 libraries in the same Eclipse project (just for your own sanity sake mostly).

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thank you very much, that all makes sense. My inclination then is to use GXT, but is there a comparison anywhere of the features of each?

Vote Rating
    sheesh-kebab is on a distinguished road

as of now, Gwt-Ext reflects fully ExtJs 2.0 javascript library, which is a bit more complete feature-wise than GXT. GXT has been catching up quite fast lately though, and it will probably match (at least from 80% stuff that most folks care about) ExtJs/Gwt-Ext sometime in the near future. At least that's my feeling.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

The funny thing is, I went down this road because I liked the date picker and time picker fields... I prefer to develop in 100% Java, so I'm going to play with GXT...

Thanks again...

Thread Participants: 1