Ext User
    Vote Rating
    n0thing is on a distinguished road

First you ask me to post code, then you tell me what I'm trying to do is easy, and finally you refuse to post code of your own and scold me for being frustrated. Do you honestly expect me to pay for this service?

Software Architect
    Vote Rating
    sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light

I gave you more hints as i had to do now. You havent tried it without a viewport. All your posted codes are based on a viewport.

As such, I'd like to remind you that this forum is a community-based forum where support/assistance is voluntary. If you have a serious and important issue, Ext JS provide subscription support where customers can get full solutions for their problems. There simply aren't the resources to code full solutions for every person in the open community.
    If you have a support subscription you get access to the premium forum where you will get more help from the company. Now you are on the community forum and it seems as if nobody from the community can help you with your problem.

Also you get emailsupport if you have a supportsubscription. There you can get help too.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    abickford is on a distinguished road

My coworkers and I have lived this thread, so this is almost like therapy! I've never had to struggle like this w/AWT, SWT, Swing, GWT or any other java based UI technology. While I'm sure that GXT dev's could pull some of this stuff off easily, it would seem as n0thing's experience here isn't atypical. I'm not talking bugs so much as just the API itself.

Software Architect
    Vote Rating
    sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light

I am going to quote the javadocs for Viewport now:

A LayoutContainer that fills the browser window and monitors window resizing. Viewports are best used for applications that will fill the browser without window scrolling. Children of the viewport can allow scrolling.
    Nothing more to say or? If you want browser scrollbars you cant use a Viewport within your design.

Ext GWT Premium Member gslender's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    gslender is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by abickford View Post
    My coworkers and I have lived this thread, so this is almost like therapy! I've never had to struggle like this w/AWT, SWT, Swing, GWT or any other java based UI technology. While I'm sure that GXT dev's could pull some of this stuff off easily, it would seem as n0thing's experience here isn't atypical. I'm not talking bugs so much as just the API itself.
    abickford,

Sad to hear you are having so much difficulty with the layouts - I guess that's understandable if you are new to the library and are trying to grasp the way the layouts work and behave. Most (I think all) of the GXT layouts are based on ExtJS layouts, and these have been tested and refined over many years of AJAX development - so I don't think we can just dissmiss them as an API issue straight up.

I guess Java UI developers will struggle, as the JS developers would have come from a HTML/CSS world and accept and understand the layout constraints you have within a browser.

In your comparison you mention SWT/Swing and AWT - all of these have no inherent layout constraints (ie the desktop UI prefers absolute positioning and can tell you line height of a font etc). Browsers are different (obviously) and therefore different approaches need to be taken. Your comment of GWT being easier to build GUI's, I think is an apples and oranges comparison. Fact is, you have hardly the same widgets and panel containers in GWT, and if you compare the mail applications in GWT and GXT, most would agree that GWT is not a simple UI library to build complex applications in.

In the end, as developers posting on a community forum, you have to be reasonable and accept that demanding that someone post a solution to your application design problem is not going to result in people rushing to help.

I'm aware that documentation relating to the layouts is not overwhelming, and that is being addressed. I also know that ExtJS are working on more Wiki content to help new developers too. I also believe a book on Ext GWT development is being written too, so there should be volumes of information available soon to assist.

Personally, I'm more than happy to help anyone here if they act reasonably and show a genuine interest in learning how to do something. Looking through your posts I've not seen any that ask questions regarding how to handle complex layouts, so I can only assume whilst you and your coworkers had difficulties, you were able to resolve them without asking questions?

How about we end this thread? If anyone has further questions about layouts or GXT, please start a new thread...

...and remember, everyone here is trying to help

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jbaxter is on a distinguished road

An old thread, but I just wanted to add my 2c worth since, like abickford, I have lived n0thing's problem, and would like to record my solution for anyone else that comes this way.

As far as I can tell, what n0thing wants is a BorderLayout where the whole screen flows, rather than each individual region. In other words, if a region doesn't fit render it anyway and add an ordinary browser scrollbar to show the missing content. Specifically, don't force a scrollbar on the oversized region alone.

At heart this is a "webby" vs. "appy" look 'n feel issue. In an application (eg eclipse) it is common to have many subpanels each with their own scrollbar. BorderLayout is great for that. But websites almost never put scrollbars on individual panels. They just let the whole thing flow and if it gets too big let the browser handle it. Most importantly, that's what web users are used to.

That said, BorderLayout *looks* a lot like a standard web 3-column liquid layout. So it is natural to try and use it that way. But be forewarned: you don't want to go there! I spent many frustrating hours trying to figure out how to get the whole BorderLayout to flow without each region scrolling.

In the end, I used a LayoutContainer with a 3-column TableLayout to get my 3-column web look. You can use TableData.setColSpan to force the top and bottom components to span all three columns. You can set fixed widths for each column. And it all scrolls correctly: if one region gets too long the browser will just add a scrollbar as any normal web application would.

Something that would be very very helpful to the community is a tutorial discussing the "blessed" way to do standard web layouts (like 3-column liquid layout) in GXT. It would avoid a lot of frustration for people who are trying to keep their application "webby".

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    The_Jackal is on a distinguished road

Thank you to Sven and Grant for working to answer these questions.

I second the request for tutorials and doco on layouts, with some complex, but recognisable examples. I also request that these examples describe when layout will get called (as this seems to have changed in the 2.0.2 optimisations) and when you have to call it yourself (and the right way to call it).

I think that tutorials and examples may greatly assist users and alleviate forum requests for help.

Regards,
    Carl.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mjack003 is on a distinguished road

Default Community Wiki

Community Wiki

This started as an open source library and is still available as such. It cracks me up when people jump on the forums and want immediate answers for something they're using for free. Read the source and do some troubleshooting on your own, for crying out loud, if you're not going to pay for it. Also, there is a wiki for posting tutorials, demos, etc...contribute to it once you do figure something out...

http://www.extjs.com/learn/Learn_Abo...xt_GWT_Library

Sorry, had to add my 2c to this "dead" thread when I read it.

Mjack

film izle

hd film izle

film sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

güzel olan herşey

takipci alma sitesi

komik eğlenceli videolar