Ext User
    Vote Rating
    crpatrick is on a distinguished road

Default Large Application Architecture Question...

Large Application Architecture Question...

Hi all-

I have already developed an application, very successfully, using ExtJS, which contains a header/footer, and in the center region, I have 2 levels of tab navigation (each having at most 3 tabs). In the application, I utilize lazy loading, and the appropriate Java action/source code with related javascript does not load to the page until the tab is clicked. The new pages are "portal" like, and may have 3 to 4 grids, trees, or flash graphs. This all works very well.

In a new application redesign we are working on, we are looking to translate a very large application (which has approximate 10 first level tabs, and each parent tab may have 10 children tabs). Again, each page is portal like, and may have grids, trees, html, graphs. In the first application, I know that the source is loaded in, then becomes part of the page source. I am a bit afraid of loading each tab into the page source, since each page may be heavy, and the page source and memory may become very high.

Does anyone else have any other methods to do large scale applications? I was thinking, perhaps, to use an iFrame under the tabs, and reload the iFrame on each tab click with the new page, if I can reference the ext and application javascript libraries (so they would not need to reload)? The other option (which I don't know if it is doable) is to "unload" the html and javascript for a current tab when a new tab is selected?

Any ideas/discussion if others have done something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Hope all are well.
    Chris

Vote Rating
    crink is on a distinguished road

Default dynamically loading javascript

dynamically loading javascript

One method you could try is to build xtypes of all your components. Then you could dynamically load the scripts after checking if their xtype exists or not before you invoke the component.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    mjlecomte will become famous soon enough mjlecomte will become famous soon enough

Maybe also check out $JIT and JScout extensions

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I haven't heard of the $JIT and JScout extensions...I will check them out, since I definitely don't know what they are or how they are used.

The question I had on loading the xtypes and then dynamically loading the scripts is that eventually, I would think that I would run into the same situation as just lazy loading everything...as the user clicks through the application, everything would be loaded into the source.

Do others have experience with using an iFrame in the center region, which would change when the user clicks a tab? Could this somehow reuse the ext-all and other application libraries loaded into the "parent" frame?

Thanks again.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas on large scale applications?

Thanks again for any help/discussion.

Thread Participants: 2