Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jpnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Default PDFs and AJAX Requests?

PDFs and AJAX Requests?

NOTE: I have posted in 'Open Discussion' instead of help because I see this more as a discussion on feasibility or technique. Moderators, if you feel this is not the case, please move it to the 'Help' forum. Thanks.

I am sending an AJAX request (via RequestBuilder from a Button) to get a PDF. However, instead of the PDF being rendered/opened in a new browser tab, the PDF data is sent back to my GWT app via the 'onResponseRecieved' method of RequestCallBack(). I suppose this is to be expected. How can I then take this data and force the browser to send a prompt to allow my users to save the PDF? Any thoughts?

Another approach that would work is if I could somehow call the PDF url via an anchor tag and the target set to '_blank'. But I'm not sure how my GWT app could set that up from a Button.

Any thoughts on how I can solve this problem?

Thanks,

JP

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    TheBuzzer is on a distinguished road

well to fix it you would need to do this.

If the data needs to be saved first you first send the data to save.

After that make a widget that will open a new url window to a jsp that will display the pdf.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jpnet is an unknown quantity at this point

well to fix it you would need to do this.

If the data needs to be saved first you first send the data to save.

After that make a widget that will open a new url window to a jsp that will display the pdf.
    That's essentially what I have done. I've created a new ContentPanel and called setUrl to the PDF url. It works adequately enough, however with the AJAX request at least I could use a progress indicator. Oh well.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    EagleEye666666 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jpnet View Post
    NOTE: I have posted in 'Open Discussion' instead of help because I see this more as a discussion on feasibility or technique. Moderators, if you feel this is not the case, please move it to the 'Help' forum. Thanks.

I am sending an AJAX request (via RequestBuilder from a Button) to get a PDF. However, instead of the PDF being rendered/opened in a new browser tab, the PDF data is sent back to my GWT app via the 'onResponseRecieved' method of RequestCallBack(). I suppose this is to be expected. How can I then take this data and force the browser to send a prompt to allow my users to save the PDF? Any thoughts?

Another approach that would work is if I could somehow call the PDF url via an anchor tag and the target set to '_blank'. But I'm not sure how my GWT app could set that up from a Button.

Any thoughts on how I can solve this problem?

Thanks,

JP
    This stuff you will have to do on the serverside... if you would use spring you could use it's Controller > View functionallities... but i guess it would also work with a normal servlet. I did not read neither did such things so i can just give my thoughts (maybe they are stupid )

Thread Participants: 2