Hybrid View

Vote Rating
    davenolan has a spectacular aura about davenolan has a spectacular aura about

Cool ExtJS needs a bugtracker

ExtJS needs a bugtracker

ExtJS needs a public read/write bugtracker. I know this has been raised several times before. Here are some reasons for not having a bugtracker I've seen on previous threads.

Bogus reason 1) We need the forum to screen out all the crud before it gets in the bugtracker.

This is not a good reason. People are already screening out the crud in the forum, right, in order to decide what goes in the private bugtracker? So why not do that task in, well, a bugtracker?

Bugtrackers make it easier to screen out crud. That's what they are designed to do. It's much easier to spot a bug report filled in by a JavaScript beginner than it is to screen forum posts. That's because the bugtracker asks for specific, structured information (browser version, console log, expected behaviour etc.) It can help enforce the rules we have in the bug forum at the moment.

Bogus reason 2) Keeping the forum means there's a single search context for support, which is better for searchability

Overall, it's harder to search the forum than it is to search a bugtracker. In a bugtracker, issues are structured data. There are different ways to search, filter, sort, find, categorize etc. This is not the case with the forum, despite trying to enforce a consistent naming scheme.

The aim of having a single support area for everything can be acheived by either porting the forum to the bugtracker (lots of them have forums) (I will help). Or it can be abandoned - many other projects -larger projects, even - manage perfectly well having separate areas for help and for bugs/feature requests.

Bogus reason 3) There's just too many bugs filed that are just simple programming errors for a public bugtracker to work. There aren't the resouces to maintain it.

It's also much easier to keep track of just the issues you are interested in, both as a consumer and a dev. Every decent bugtracker will have a way of filtering out irrelevant or badly-formed issues.

Anyway, here's the conversation that prompted me to post this...

Me: I'd like to use ExtJS for the Dollortron 9000 project.
    Boss: Kewl. <Googles> Where's the bugtracker? I can only find this ugly Vbulletin forum.
    Me: Er, that's it apart from a private one the devs apparently use.
    Boss: WTF? Are they serious? <Puts bulging wallet back in safe>

Boss may be right, boss may be wrong, but we dearly need a bugtracker.

/rant

Big love to all the devs and everyone who helps here. I just want to make everyone's life easier!

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

I agree.

A beautiful, Extified bugtracker, crafted by Mr Slocum himself.

It would enhance the product mightily, and probably be saleable because all other bugtrackers I have used are a little uncomfortable and fiddly to use.

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Agreed. I have yet to see a truly web 2.0 bug tracker.

Anyone looking to make a new project?

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mathieuj is on a distinguished road

+1 and also a trac timeline or equivalent would be really great !

Mathieu

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Kango_V is on a distinguished road

+1. We make use of Jira in our company and love it. I know it's not open source, but it's the best we found. Nice and extensible too with a good API.

But whatever system you use, it's gotta be light years ahead of a forum .

Vote Rating
    harley.333 is on a distinguished road

agreed - we also use Jira - it's not perfect, but it works and it's easy to admin. i can't imagine using a forum for my bug tracking.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ostghost is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb bugtracking

bugtracking

hi,

maybe reinventing wheel isn´t best way. try to look on jira from atlassian http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/ they have also other sw and together is it quite complex solution.

even zend at leat on zend framework project choose it as issue tracking http://framework.zend.com/issues/sec...Navigator.jspa

pure web 2.0 tracker with ale extjs bells and whistles could be nice and also presented as complex demo application but imho time to write it should be used to move ext to next milestones

Vote Rating
    stever will become famous soon enough stever will become famous soon enough

JIRA and TRAC both have remote capabilities which is how Eclipse is able to interoperate with both directly. So by that same token, you could create a ExtJS frontend for either.

However, Trac is free, JIRA is not. And there might be confusion with their open source exception, so it is best to just avoid it and any hastles that might come from that.

As for the idea of having workarounds -- I like that. Perhaps if we have our own bug database, we can restrict bug reports to only those that have workarounds. Not being in the Core group of ExtJS, I don't see much of a point of handling one otherwise.

film izle

hd film izle

film sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

güzel olan herşey

takipci alma sitesi

komik eğlenceli videolar