Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot comment on any official (or unofficial) plans on if we are going to open anything up or not. So don't take anything I say as I'm turning down the possibility or confirming the possibility of an open bug tracker. Just want to make that 100% clear before I talk further.

Completely opening Jira up will simply not work because we have internal processes and customer information in tickets that we simply cannot allow everyone to see. Employee A opens a ticket from a paying subscriber in Company X, Company X may not want their name or application information released to the public but that application information may be crucial for that bug to be reproduced by an engineer.

So it's not that we want to be closed off and use a forum for a bug tracker, it's more the semantics of how to employ Jira with sensitive information that could be viewable.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dougbieber is on a distinguished road

Default Sounds like a big FU

Sounds like a big FU

If company X had top-secret stuff they shouldn't have shared it with Sencha unless there was a contract. There is a problem here and it needs a solution.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Bloodyaugust is on a distinguished road

I also cannot comprehend why the above is the cause for a lack of a public bug tracker, and all this time later. Why not have both? Sure, there may be some overhead maintaining a private and a public bug tracker, but I think it should at this point be considered a valid use of resources on Sencha's part.

The people need a public bug tracker. Please.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

For me the best example of any software development tools company on how to provide a public bug tracker and respond to it is how jetbrains does it: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues

What I like about their solution:
    • They are really prompt on following up newly reported issues. You are heard and you know it.
    • You can get a good sense of which issues are on-going, and how many people are running into them.
    • You can see the progress being made very readily. It creates a sense of forward momentum.
    A public bug tracker is not really about having a way to get feedback, because there are other ways to do that (all you need is a support@ email inbox). It's about having a way to let people know their feedback is being followed up on. The "bug tracking" in the sencha forums helps with this partially, but it is just not on the same level. The thing that sets jetbrains apart for me is that I got a sense from them that they determine their priorities primarily by the feedback of their users, whereas other dev tool vendors (including sencha) always give me the sense that their priorities are set by management. Maybe that perception is wrong, but perception is reality.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    walkout_ is on a distinguished road

Btw,

My company developing new commercial GUIs for JIRA.

Here is our plugin for JIRA:
    https://marketplace.atlassian.com/pl...heet.timesheet

JIRA itself can be well configured about security. You can just make a project that allows only issue reporter and employee of Sencha, Inc to see a posted issue.

Also you can make public bug tracking project for the Ext JS community.

On JIRA you can attach screenshots only with your web-browser, ect.

Here is a link to my public installation of JIRA and Timesheet for JIRA:
    http://jira.i4ware.fi/plugins/servle...t?project=DEMO
    Anonymous bug submitting are bloked in frontend and backend source code. And there is a bug submitting form that posts users bug report to our SVN over SMTP on our server and these bug reports goes our internal use only and can be viewed by our authorized developer via any Web-browser from SVN in RIA GUI.

I am been Atlassian Plugin Vendor since year 2008 and been a Atlassian Expert Partner between 2008-2009 but I terminated Atlassian Parner Agreement my self at end of the year 2009.

PS: For Open Source projects JIRA is free of charge like our plugins also for JIRA. But Ext JS are commercial Open Source project so I don't believe that Sencha, Inc. gets a JIRA and our plugins for it free.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Completely opening Jira up will simply not work because we have internal processes and customer information in tickets that we simply cannot allow everyone to see. Employee A opens a ticket from a paying subscriber in Company X, Company X may not want their name or application information released to the public but that application information may be crucial for that bug to be reproduced by an engineer.
    Mitchell, that's really a pretty easy problem to deal with. Any decent issue tracker (like Jira or Youtrack) absolutely has the ability to assign users to groups and define roles on those groups as far as what they can see and do.

An obvious example is that public users may default to a public group, where they can add or comment on tickets, but not mark them fixed. The same idea applies to anything in the system.

So not only can you limit visibility of entire tickets to only certain roles, you can limit visibility of specific fields as well. Meaning basic info on the issue could be public, but certain details can be hidden based on role. You can find more info on these capabilities in the docs for whichever issue tracker is considered (e.g. https://confluence.atlassian.com/dis...level+Security).

Or, as Walkout mentioned, you can even set up a completely separate, private project in the tracking system that only certain people can access. However you need it set up, a good tracking system should be able to accommodate your needs.

The bottom line is that issue visibility concerns shouldn't prevent setting up an issue tracker. Any worthwhile tracking system will let you do this. If this issue visibility concern is a common justification within Sencha to not set up an issue tracker, that's a problem. In that case, it seems to indicate that insufficient time has been spent on assessing the options. Maybe it would be worth having someone at Sencha spend a few hours documenting the systems and options that are available, if this hasn't already been done?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Bloodyaugust is on a distinguished road

It is hard for me to believe that Sencha hasn't thoroughly explored their options. That was a weak excuse, and fairly obviously so. There have been consistent requests for a public bug tracker for quite some time now: they've had egregious amounts of time to get something figured out.

Sencha, the least you could tell us is the real reason *why* there is not and will not be a public bug tracking system. There's no reason to dodge the question, that is easily more frustrating, even if the real answer is something along the lines of "we don't want to".

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold brian428 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by al.todd View Post
    Im a software architect. I believe in write once run everywhere. HTML5 is the closest weve come.

Sencha is not it. My next project will not use it.
    I have no idea what this has to do with the topic at hand (a bug tracker). Running Sencha apps on multiple browsers and devices is not one of Sencha's failings...in fact, it's the opposite. Ext JS apps run in virtually any browser (even extremely old ones like IE 7). And Touch apps run fine on virtually any device and mobile OS. So if you're having problems, you're doing something wrong. But again, this has nothing to do with a bug tracker.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    I have no idea what this has to do with the topic at hand
    Same here.
    UI: Sencha Architect 3.x / ExtJS 4 & 5
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: Glassfish / WildFly
    Databases: Oracle / DB2 / MySQL / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!