Ext JS Premium Member Joyfulbob's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Joyfulbob is on a distinguished road

Default Java vs. JavaScript (ExtJS) Trends

Java vs. JavaScript (ExtJS) Trends

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on industry trends comparing Java against JavaScript, and specifically ExtJS. On the one hand is Java being the end-all be-all industry trend, while on the other hand JS/ExtJS is preferred.

I know factors to be considered are based on environment and applications, among other variables, but I was wondering about the merits of each and future trends.

Any thoughts? How does/would Chrome change the equation?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mabello is an unknown quantity at this point

Java and javascript have a completely different purpose in my opinion and they have really little in common (they both are languages and they have some naming convenction in common).

Java is a server-side general purpose language, it is used to create also stand alone applications.
    It is compiled in an intermediate language, the bytecode that then is interpreted by the JVM (each platform has its own implementation of the JVM).

Javascript is a client-side language, an it is a weakly typed and prototype-based language. The fact that you can create OO with javascript does not mean that javascript is OO in itself, it is not a characteristic of the language.
    Since it is a scripting language, it is really interpreted.

Javascript was born to be used mainly in web browser as a client-side scripting language for web pages, but nowdays JavaScript interpreters are embedded in different tools, for example, the JDK 1.6 has the possibility to host javascript code who can access to the application's variables (I wonder when .NET will introduce this feature if it's not already there )

The correlation between Java and javascript trends are not that big in my opinion, it should be similar or a little bit more than the correlation bewteen C# (.NET) and javascript

Hope this helps

Ext JS Premium Member Joyfulbob's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Joyfulbob is on a distinguished road

Thanks! That helps me understand it better.

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Looking this up via google or wikipedia could have netted you the same result. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

A common misconception is that JavaScript is similar or closely related to Java; this is not so. Both have a C-like syntax, are object-oriented, are typically sandboxed and are widely used in client-side Web applications, but the similarities end there. Java has static typing; JavaScript's typing is dynamic (meaning a variable can hold an object of any type and cannot be restricted). Java is loaded from compiled bytecode; JavaScript is loaded as human-readable code. C is their last common ancestor language.

Nonetheless, JavaScript was designed with Java's syntax and standard library in mind. In particular, all Java keywords are reserved in JavaScript, JavaScript's standard library follows Java's naming conventions, and JavaScript's Math and Date classes are based on those from Java 1.0.[1][2]