Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    cfmunster is on a distinguished road

Default Licensing my open source project

Licensing my open source project

I am releasing a new open source project that uses ExtJS 2.2. My project is released under the ASL v 2.0 license, which I understand to be compatible with GPL v 3.0. The question I have is, should I provide a notice about the Ext licensing terms in the project notes to make clear that Ext provides commercial licensing terms for commercial projects? Just want to make sure I am doing the right by the Ext licenseing terms....

Thanks,

Rob
    -->

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

Please send off an email to licensing@extjs.com

Thanks.
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Don't be afraid of the source code!
    -->

Sencha - Management Team abe.elias's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    abe.elias is on a distinguished road

Hi Rob,

What is usually implied regarding the ASLv2 being "compatible" with the GPL is the ability to distribute ASL code within a GPL project (not the other way around). In many cases, if code from a GPL project is incorporated into an ASL project, the project must now be GPL.

Ext has addressed the ability for permissive open source projects (like your own) to release code under the ASF, while using Ext JS under the GPL, without requiring the entire project be GPL'ed by using a FLOSS Exception/Extention.

For open source projects that are not distributed under the GPL v3 license, the following FLOSS exceptions are available:

You would need to distribute the FLOSS Exception language with the GPL, and indicate you are using one of the above FLOSS Exceptions to release your code under the ASL.

Hope that helps.
    -->

Thread Participants: 2