Ext User
    Vote Rating
    PhilW is on a distinguished road

Default GXT Evaluation

GXT Evaluation

Hi,

Having made the decision to move to an RIA solution, I have been given the task of evaluating GWT/GXT for this purpose. On a first glance, the GXT framework looks ideal, and the demo apps very impressive. I am having a big problem, however, in that I can find no information on how to get started in putting together a prototype application for evalutation purposes. I realise that there is training available, but the cost cannot be justified when only evaluating. Is there a user guide available that would be suitable for my purposes? I am particularly interested in evaluating the MVC framework. Also, as I am located in the UK, I was wondering if online training is possible?

Thanks in advance
    Phil

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thanks for the info. However, I have only managed to find info on how to set up a project for GXT. I am beyond this stage, and really need info on how to use the framework.

Regards
    Phil

Vote Rating
    catacaustic is on a distinguished road

Good luck Phil. From what I've seen the only help you'll get like that is by posting problems on the forum here. The Ext team doesn't seem to like to give out to many examples. There's the standard ones in the download of the mail app and the file browser, but that'll be about all that you'll get. It's all to be taken from a commercial point of view... the income comes from the training and support services, so giving away to much means less income, so it is in their best interest to give just enough to showcase a few features.

You pretty much have to do the same as the rest of us... Try and build something, see how easy (difficult) it is and use that to give an opinion. Even though the examples are a bit lacking, they are still better then most of the other frameworks out there. You'll have ot see if some prototyping time can be squeezed into your budgeting to try and do something with it all.
    'Once again, fortune vomits on my eiderdown'
    - Edmund Blackadder

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    urwitharup@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

You may go through below urls to get a basic idea on ext GWT MVC

http://christianposta.com/blog/?p=6
    http://java.dzone.com/articles/gxts-mvc-framework

Regards
    Arup

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thanks for the information all. The framework looks great, but I am afraid that as I only have a limited time for evaluation, my conclusion has to be

"Too difficult to use. Insufficient information to get a handle on the capabilities of the product"

I understand the rationale regarding profit, however I feel that the company needs to cater a little better for developers attempting to evaluatate the product within a time limit. The other problem I have had, is that all my emails to training/services have remained unanswered.

Rant over!

Regards
    Phil

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    ba6274 is on a distinguished road

Or you can check out this book: http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219408
    The ebook is only 14USD.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    intrinsical is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    Thanks for the information all. The framework looks great, but I am afraid that as I only have a limited time for evaluation, my conclusion has to be

"Too difficult to use. Insufficient information to get a handle on the capabilities of the product"

I understand the rationale regarding profit, however I feel that the company needs to cater a little better for developers attempting to evaluatate the product within a time limit. The other problem I have had, is that all my emails to training/services have remained unanswered.

Rant over!

Regards
    Phil
    I too am evaluating GXT for use in my company's application and thus far my experience is similiar to yours. The javadoc consist entirely of one-liners that are often not even helpful in describing what the class/method does. While the demo and sample applications are a great starting point, I find myself at a loss when attempting to use a feature that is not used in the examples. As an application developer, what I want to focus on is my application but GXT forces me to spend extraneous time that I don't have trawling around the forums and asking questions on simple issues.

As a result, I am very likely to drop GXT.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Rvanlaak is on a distinguished road

For example code, you might want to take a look at the samples explorer. This gave me a quick start

http://extjs.com/examples-dev/explorer.html

Vote Rating
    francescoNemesi is on a distinguished road

Although I agree with the fact that there is not much documentation, the samples provided are very exhaustive and cover pretty much everything you need to know to start and beyond.

GXT is a great framework and it is the only one implemented in "pure" GWT, not JSNI wrappers, with so many widgets/features. Other frameworks like SmartGWT do look impressive, but under the hood do not compare at all with GXT and as soon as you push them a bit the performance is bad to say the least.

I have been using GXT for more than a year now, writing a very complex application and I assure you it is worth the time invested in learning it.

Only my 2 pence, but experience is the best teacher.