Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear that people are up and running with this!

Cutter, I'll fix the bug you reported within Api.cfc. Is anyone interested in contributing to DirectCFM? I could put it up on RIAForge.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Vote Rating
    CutterBl is on a distinguished road

Cool RIAForge DirectCFM

RIAForge DirectCFM

@aconran

Yeah, I'm updating my CFQueryReader examples using Direct. Want to put together a quick paging grid example for people. I think putting DirectCFM up on RIAForge is a great idea, though I think you might add your Echo.cfc and example code first, to give some direction.
    --
    Steve "Cutter" Blades
    Adobe Community Professional - ColdFusion
    Adobe Certified Professional - Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer

Co-Author "Learning Ext JS 3.2"

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jimmifett is on a distinguished road

I've heavily modified your very useful and educational stack.

The version I have acts as a stateful bean, holding a list of registered components and their exposed methods. It gets loaded into application scope. This allows the api script generation to not have to do as much work since all the component reflection is done once, yet additional components can be registered with the bean (think management console for ExtDirect cfcs).

I added an attribute to the cfcomponent tag, AllowExtDirectReflection (boolean) that is required for any component to be registered with the bean. This is to give the ability to scan directories (still under construction) and only pick up cfcs specifically designed to implement ExtDirect.

Each cffunction in a cfc will also require an ExtDirect attribute (boolean) in order for the method within the cfc to be register with the bean, as you already have. The method to register components also has 4 optional flags, allowExtDirectRemote, allowExtDirectPublic, allowExtDirectPackage, allowExtDirectPrivate. These allow the registration method to register only specific access levels and ignore methods even if they have the ExtDirect attribute. In case you want to prevent private methods and such from ppl copy pasting code around willy nilly being exposed that you didn't know about, or want to keep remote level as some sort of wrapper for a public level function. Even more useful for registering whole directories. Of course, I don't know why any sane person that would want to expose their non public or remote methods, but the option is there.

Also added was the restriction of invoking methods if that function has a Role attribute and the user does not have a valid role in that list, thus preserving application security even when exposed via Ext.Direct.

My version also checks to make sure there are sufficient arguments to atleast match if not exceed any cfargument tags with the Required attribute set. Also makes sure the are not more params than arguments.

Finally, it introduces an error handling system that i use for just about everything else. If properly implemented in cfc design, it allows very useful debug info similar along the lines of a java Exception.

Almost forgot, I also rewrote as much as inhumanly possible in cfscript and fully scoped out loose variables, type checking, and added access levels to all the code.

I have no idea where to put these up for ppl to use, any suggestions?

Application.cfc //example simple framework (a lite version of a more robust framework I use) created showing how to instantiate the bean and register cfcs

ExtDirect.cfc //replaces Direct.cfc. Still needs work for the mass recursive directory registration.

API.cfm //slight tweaks to api.cfm

Router.cfm //medium rework of Router.cfm

Example.cfc //a sample cfc showing off features

Example.cfm //test page using the above

-Jim
    Last edited by jimmifett; 3 Jun 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typos

Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Jim -

Sounds great, I'd love to see it; You should be able to attach it here on the forums for people to download or create your own thread and name it something different since it has been changed so much.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jimmifett is on a distinguished road

I went ahead and forked it since there is considerable difference code and feature wise. It'd be confusing to others trying to follow both pieces of code.

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70264

Thanks again. This was a great introduction to the underpinnings of Ext.Direct.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    srconklin is on a distinguished road

Default directCFM and ColdBox

directCFM and ColdBox

Do you have any samples of this working in conjuction with a ColdBox Application?
    thanks

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    TomChiverton is on a distinguished road

Default Railo support

Railo support

I had to make a few minor mods to get this to run under the Railo CFML engine.
    Router.cfm needs to check for the absence of the form variables in it's first CFIF, and Direct.cfc's invokeCall() needs to scope all references to the 'request' argument.

Patch attached.
    Attached Files

Vote Rating
    Gjslick will become famous soon enough

Hey Aaron, first off, thanks for your example CF stack code. I'm currently putting together a simple application instantiated rendition of it, to save on the introspection step, and to cover CFC's in sub directories. Didn't want to go quite as far as jimmifett's version (although nice job Jim), but still wanted good performance on the requests for the API, and the ability to keep my components in the packages that they're currently in.

Was wondering about something though. What made you decide to get the request's post body the way you did?
    Code:
    <cffunction name="getPostBody" returnType="string" output="false">
        <cfscript>
            var size=GetPageContext().getRequest().getContentLength();
            var emptyByteArray = createObject("java", "java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream").init().toByteArray();
            var byteClass = createObject("java", "java.lang.Byte").TYPE;          
            var byteArray = createObject("java","java.lang.reflect.Array").newInstance(byteClass, size);
            GetPageContext().getRequest().getInputStream().readLine(byteArray, 0, size);
            createObject('java', 'java.lang.System').out.println("{GetJSONRequest} ByteArray.ToString=" &ToString( byteArray ) );
            return ToString( byteArray );
        </cfscript>
    </cffunction>
    Instead of doing something simple like this:
    Code:
    <cfset postBody = toString( getHttpRequestData().content )>
    Any reason? Performance? Yours works in more situations? (Possibly didn't know about getHttpRequestData?) Was basically wondering if I needed to include that code in my final version or not.

Thanks man, and appreciate it.

-Greg

Vote Rating

That looks much simpler! That bit of code to pull the body of a post was written several years ago.

I used it on a CFMX 6.1 project and I knew that it worked

Looking forward to seeing your implementation!
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Vote Rating
    Gjslick will become famous soon enough

Well that answers that question! lol

Alritey, I'll post my code when I'm done. I'm actually almost finished, just gotta work around an issue with ColdSpring's AOP templates not parsing correctly (for all you ColdSpring users, myself included ), and then test it out a bit. I'll try to put it up in the next day or so.

Thanks again,

-Greg