Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andycramb is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: user extensions for Core

Unanswered: user extensions for Core

Having recently done some work on jquery and MooTools I noticed that they had a central repositry for some plugins and extensions
    I noticed in Joe's thread he has set up http://code.google.com/p/extjscoremitux/
    Is this where we can upload our extensions to as long as it has the correct license?
    Are we using this going forward as it would be great to have one repositry
    It would also be ideal if we could have a central place for all the demos that will be created. I have never used the Google repositry before so I am assuming we can use http://code.google.com/p/extjscoremitux/to place links to demos from the uploaded extensions?

I think its worth stickying on the Core forum where we can centrally place our extensions and examples ?

Vote Rating
    Joe is on a distinguished road

Default Yes - the plan is to setup a site that goes along with the SVN

Yes - the plan is to setup a site that goes along with the SVN

The reason I have been lagging on posting a link to the SVN is I wanted to add a few controls and build the related site for examples before making a post on it, but I guess there is no need for that just yet. Input from others on what to include on such a site would be good in developing it.

So here is the SVN Link as an official announcement ...

SNV: http://code.google.com/p/extjscoremitux/

Other persons willing to become members or owners would be welcomed.

Note: I have populated the SVN with a few controls that people were nice enough to post on this site.

I do follow the forums, so just make a post or PM me any ideas, questions or requests in relation to the SVN or related examples/demo/doc site.
    Joseph Francis,
    CoreLan / Meeting Consultants

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    hello2008 is on a distinguished road

good work, I have one suggestion:

Could you please add the whole example files into the central repositry? currently there is only js class file being archived, but some codes of Ext.ux reference to those styles in css file, so I think at least the related css file should be included.

Sencha - Community Support Team mystix's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mystix will become famous soon enough

[ stickied this thread ]
    have fun

Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

@Joe: Like hello2008 said, we need a folder structure for each UX:

eg.

Code:
    Ext.ux.FingerMenu ->
        |- js
        |- css
        |- example
          |- css
          |- js
          index.html
    Something like that..?

Vote Rating

Default SNVs ...

SNVs ...

I been thinking on that ...

I started with examples in the SVN but since they don't seem to be able to run from the SVN library or code library site .. I was thinking they may not belong in the SVN in all.

But then look at ExtJS, they put the examples in there, so when you pull down the library - you get the examples which can be run locally.

If the basic ExtJS model is used for the SVN - the tree would look something like the one shown below.

I am thinking we may want to use this structure and have all the source in a proper tree for the purpose of running docs on them.

SVN ->
    |- source
    |- examples
    then maybe ..
    |- docs

More thoughts ... we don't have an "all" css file. Some css files / images are needed for the actual control and others needed for examples (many times). I also think when we put out ux controls we should organized the files in a way that puts the css/images/js files in one place for the control .. and the css/images for any examples in another location so it is easy to pull out the controls and reuse them.

I am open to any structure and will update the SVN accordingly as desired.

Your thoughts?
    Joseph Francis,

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    hello2008 is on a distinguished road

good discussion, in my opinion we should follow the structure of official Ext Core, and actually our web controls only belong to folder of 'examples', like some default demos in this folder.

as for the sub folders of each implementation, maybe keep it simple is a good choice, eg:
    [lightbox]
    |- images
    |- html file
    |- css file
    |- js file

well, we may have more choice to keep a convention.

Vote Rating

Default Thanks for the response .. also looking at the ux repository

Thanks for the response .. also looking at the ux repository

We may consider using the ux repository.

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205670

I am setup an an author there and have posted a few components. Honorable SamuraiJack1 has agreed to this and mentioned having already setup a ExtCoreX namespace. May be some renaming of controls, etc to get it to fit in nice.

Anyone interested in also signing up as an author and working with that site to see if you agree it is better than google SVN.

What is nice is the ability to post examples and the doc creation processing rocks too.

Note: I'll be in and out for a week, so may not respond for a while.

Your thoughts?
    Joseph Francis,

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andycramb is on a distinguished road

This has the obvious benefit of already being established
    We would not have to reinvent the wheel
    It would seem a natural extension to have the core ux stuff up there and clearly distinguished from the main library
    It would be ideal to have all Ext extensions in the one place
    This would save a lot of people a lot of hassle
    I also noticed a thread by Dave sanders who was looking to organise a central repositry for any themes that have been and would be created

I will update his thread to let him know of this discussion

Vote Rating
    Dave.Sanders is on a distinguished road

Yes, thanks Andy - there seems to be a lot of people wanting to organize everything, and I'm all for it. I only posted up my github repository (extjs-contrib) because I hadn't readily found something else, and frankly, I must not have searched well enough because there are at least two others.

My opinion is that there should be one agreed upon repository, that it should be managed by multiple people (the individual authors if possible, which I think SamuraiJack's is?) and that whatever scheme you come up with also includes themes. Another optional feature, but maybe not important would be to have separate 2.2.1 and 3.0 sections.

Also, I think having an examples section for the standard ExtJs is important too. Saki has his of course, and I have set one up in a different way on my codecooks.com site here: http://codecooks.com/storage/codecooks/index.html I've engineered mine to work completely off of data files and it requires no server side code to run (unless a specific example needs it for an ajax call) so its portable to any web server or file system.

Another concern is quality, some of the ux I saw are just dropped into the folder and don't contain much, if any documentation or even a description about what it does. Others are beautifully documented and have working examples and so on. IF there is a "curator" and manager of the ux repository, then I think they should apply some standards and request devs do at least a minimal amount of documentation / description before it goes into the repo. However, if its open contribution then this won't be enforceable and we the users will just have to ferret out the good ones and fix them up as time allows.

Finally, unless the repo is going to have its own bugtracking / forums, then I'd suggest that it be easy to point people to the ExtJs forum posting about the ux / theme, etc. That way people browsing the repo can easily report bugs and ask questions.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, glad someone else is working on this and let me know what I can do to help. I'll happily upload Slate 3 progress and my ThemeTester utility to whatever repository I'm pointed at, and then shut down extjs-contrib to avoid confusion.

Cheers
    D