Ext User
    Vote Rating
    scottpenrose is on a distinguished road

Default Ext.Direct Perl

Ext.Direct Perl

Hi Team

On Friday I built my first two Server Stack backends for Ext.Direct in Perl.

The first implementation (called simple) is there as a reference implementation. It is a useful source to help get you started porting Ext.Direct functionality to your own framework.

The second implementation (called modperl) is a more complete and functional implementation, and because all classes are loaded at Apache start time, it is quite fast.

I have not completed all functionality (e.g. file uploads).

Enjoy

Scott
    UPDATES
    • 27/August/2009 - support for before/after hooks & form post data

Sencha - Community Support Team SamuraiJack1's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    SamuraiJack1 will become famous soon enough

Cool. How about to CPAN it?

Ext User
    Vote Rating

CPAN is the plan... I like to put it up only once it is working though, so give me a day or two :-)

Scott

Vote Rating

Sounds good, will be glad to help if needed.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack1 View Post
    Sounds good, will be glad to help if needed.
    Thanks SamuraiJack. What I really need help with is firstly what features people would like? Within reason that is :-)

Here are some questions:
    • Configuration - what format should the CPAN module accept?
    • Class instantiation - do we need to bother? I have been calling the methods directly.
    • What target - CGI, CGI via simple Module, Apache modperl?

Mostly I am concentrating on the ModPerl implementation, as that is the one I am currently using, but I can easily abstract it.

Thanks.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by scottpenrose View Post
    • Configuration - what format should the CPAN module accept?
    To start a CPAN module use 'module-starter' command-line utility, provided in the Module::Starter distribution.

• Class instantiation - do we need to bother? I have been calling the methods directly.
    I'd recommend to use Moose - a modern class system implementation for perl. It will handle all the underlaying technical details, like providing constructors, etc.

• What target - CGI, CGI via simple Module, Apache modperl?
    Mostly I am concentrating on the ModPerl implementation, as that is the one I am currently using, but I can easily abstract it.
    I'd recommend to create an abstract standalone implementation first, and then a plugin for Catalyst.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

To start a CPAN module use 'module-starter' command-line utility, provided in the Module::Starter distribution.
    :-) Not quite what I meant. I have been writing Perl for about 17 years, have lots of perl modules on CPAN - http://search.cpan.org/~scott/

What I mean is - configuration format. E.g. Config::Config, or Perl Data dump or JSON parsed. Because it is Apache we could use Apache format, but that tends to be a bit heavy weight.

I'd recommend to use Moose - a modern class system implementation for perl. It will handle all the underlaying technical details, like providing constructors, etc.
    Thanks. I quite like Moose, I used to produce heaps of code using Class::Std.

I'd recommend to create an abstract standalone implementation first, and then a plugin for Catalyst.
    Yes I think Catalyst is an important one to write for. I have done a few projects with Catalyst but I can't say I am an expert.

I think the best approach right now is to complete the missing bits in simple - such as file upload.

Thanks

Scott

Vote Rating

:-) Not quite what I meant. I have been writing Perl for about 17 years, have lots of perl modules on CPAN - http://search.cpan.org/~scott/
    Sorry )

What I mean is - configuration format. E.g. Config::Config, or Perl Data dump or JSON parsed. Because it is Apache we could use Apache format, but that tends to be a bit heavy weight.
    Perhaps, Config::Any?

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Perhaps, Config::Any?
    Thanks, that is perfect. The really nice thing is that one supported input is JSON, which we need anyway.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Default New version released

New version released

New version released:
    • simple CGI now supports Form posts
    • modperl now supports loading config via Config::Any (Perl, JSON, YAML - you pick).
    • modperl now support CGI form posts and returns (example also updated to show error on email)
    • modperl now supports 'before' and 'after' method calls on each action and method - allows you to implement your own security, logging etc.
    • modperl now "use CGI;" for form data

Scott