Ext User
    Vote Rating
    realtebo2 is on a distinguished road

Default Limits to user input: maskRe and stripCharsRe

Limits to user input: maskRe and stripCharsRe

I cannot understand, probably because i'm not a native english spoker, wich differences are beetween

stripCharsRe : filter characters after being typed in, but before being validated

and

maskRe : filter out keystrokes before any validation occurs

and ...

if I want only to accept lowercase chars ... i must write a positive regex (include only what I write) or a negative regex (exclude only whay I write) ?

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

- maskRe determines the characters that you can type (e.g. maskRe: /[a-z]/ will only allow lower case characters).
    - stripCharsRe is used to strip out text before validation (e.g. stripCharsRe: /(^\s+|\s+$)/g will strip leading and trailing spaces).
    - regexp is used to validate the resulting value (e.g. regexp: /^[a-z]+$/ will only accept a string of lower case characters).

Ext User
    Vote Rating

sorry,

maskRe or stripCharRe make me unable to digit a key (it will be deleted after typed) ?

Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

That is caused by your stripCharRe setting (to what did you set it?)

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I was using /[A-Z]/i but I resolved using /[a-z]/

So form accept only lowercase chars... So I now understand that maskRe is a positve filter: accept only what matches regexp. I cannot digit every key is not matched, it will not be displayed at all

I tried using the same /[a-z]/ regexp using stripCharsRe and the behaviur is different: stripCharsRe is a negative filter: accept only what DOESN'T match to regexp. So I can digit a 'T' and it will be displayed, but if I digit a 't' it will be first displayed and then discarded, deleted, from text box.
    Last edited by realtebo2; 6 Sep 2009 at 1:08 AM. Reason: Added more info

Vote Rating

But do you really want to set a stripCharsRe? Wouldn't it be better to only set maskRe and regexp?

Ext User
    Vote Rating

no, no, I only wanted to understand differences beetween the 2 ways. So I used maskRe.

Thread Participants: 1