Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

The newest platform preview is out. The summary of what's new is on this page.

I especially find this remark interesting:
    IE9’s standards support makes it much closer, for developers, to Gecko, Presto, and the different versions of Webkit than it is to IE7. We want to make the same markup work across browsers, and want feedback from developers about the issues they find offering the same markup to IE9.
    They're recommending using feature detection, and not treating IE9 like IE, but treating it like webkit or gecko. If I'm not mistaken, Ext uses quite a lot of browser detection instead of feature detection. Are the Ext devs already looking into IE9 support? Maybe this is a good time to move entirely to a feature detection model in Ext?
    Last edited by joeri; 6 May 2010 at 7:37 AM. Reason: spelling error

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Interesting. I'll try it at home. Here at work, my OS is too antiquated to run it!

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Ext uses quite a lot of browser detection instead of feature detection. Are the Ext devs already looking into IE9 support? Maybe this is a good time to move entirely to a feature detection model in Ext?
    Yes on both counts, the general agreement is that feature detection is the way to go, with the caveat that some bug workarounds will still need to target specific browser versions (I'm looking at you, IE6, 7 and 8).
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

That's good to hear. Generally our major releases stay in use (with minor fixes) for a few years, so by the time they're end-of-lifed they tend to be running on browser versions that didn't exist when they were initially developed. Having tools that are more robust in the face of browser changes is always a good thing.