Ext User
    Vote Rating
    steenj is on a distinguished road

Default IPhone, Android, Slates,.... ???

IPhone, Android, Slates,.... ???

My company is considering using ExtJS for our next project, and ExtJS is perfect for our desktop and laptop clients. But small handheld Smartphones and tablets are becoming more and more popular - just look at the CES exhibition - and we need a way to address these devices. I know the limitations with these devices - display size is one - but wouldn't it be nice if we could reuse some of our software for a normal desktop browser and for a browser on the smartphones.

I can see that mobile components are on the roadmap for version 3.2 - but it doesn't say much about what these components are for. Will its be possible to run our ExtJS application - or parts of our application - on an Iphone or an Android Phone?

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    nctag is on a distinguished road

What's about the huge size of ext according to download traffic? Maybe 1MB is too much for the whole widget package?! Any statements 'bout that?

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Maybe I don't get it right, but where do you see a 1 Mb download?

I've tried to measure 3 of the combination examples with Firebug.

Feed Viewer 230 Kb
    http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/exam...ewer/view.html

Web Desktop 282 Kb
    http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/exam...p/desktop.html
    (This example is using an uncompressed debug library)

Ext Forum Browser 227 Kb
    http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/exam...rum/forum.html

In a new report from Gartner, they predict that "By 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide"

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1278413

So if you want to stay in the web business - you have to take mobile phones serious.

I'm not saying that the user interface on the PC and on the phone needs to be exactly the same. But it would be nice to reuse some parts.

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

They are already working towards satisfying the mobile market.

They hired the dude who developed JQTouch

Ext JS Premium Member watrboy00's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    watrboy00 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by steenj View Post
    Maybe I don't get it right, but where do you see a 1 Mb download?

I've tried to measure 3 of the combination examples with Firebug.

Feed Viewer 230 Kb
    http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/exam...ewer/view.html

Web Desktop 282 Kb
    http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/exam...p/desktop.html
    (This example is using an uncompressed debug library)

Ext Forum Browser 227 Kb
    http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/exam...rum/forum.html
    I am sure they are gzipping the response...
    Eric Berens
    Intranet Systems Manager @ Best Buy
    You should follow me on twitter here.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Now with the arrival of the iPad - this only emphasizes what I earlier said. In the next couple of years we will see a lot of these smartphones and tablets.

Note: I don't think the iPad is a good device. The concept is brilliant but the iPad is just too crippled in too many ways. How can you surf the net without a flash player? But we have to take it serious - what if Apple really succeed in making this a big success. Hopefully other vendors will make tablets that don't have the shortcomings of the iPad. Google, HP, HTC, Asus, Lenovo, Dell... are you listening?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Scorpie is on a distinguished road

Now with the arrival of the iPad - this only emphasizes what I earlier said. In the next couple of years we will see a lot of these smartphones and tablets.

Note: I don't think the iPad is a good device. The concept is brilliant but the iPad is just too crippled in too many ways. How can you surf the net without a flash player? But we have to take it serious - what if Apple really succeed in making this a big success. Hopefully other vendors will make tablets that don't have the shortcomings of the iPad. Google, HP, HTC, Asus, Lenovo, Dell... are you listening?
    Agreed. Support for mobile packaging is on the roadmap for 3.2
    I`m from Holland!

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Thing is, the concept is actually not brilliant.

They are selling you half of a laptop as if it is a completely new device instead of half a laptop.

You can't really carry it comfortably in a pocket, you can't really use it on the move by holding it in one hand and poking it with another, you'd have to be say on a train. And then, you'd have to lay it down flat where it would wobble and twizzle round as you poked at it, and lean over and look down at it.

Maybe Steve Jobs will "think outside the box", and attach a keyboard. Maybe with a hinge at the base which would hold the screen up and in a stable viewing position? It could also protect it while it was switched off? Now there's a good market....

Oh.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

This commentator absolutely hits the nail head square in the middle with a sledgehammer: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ant-why-idunno

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

On the other hand, Bill Gates has been using tablet pc's for years, and swears by the form factor. I wouldn't dismiss it until I've actually used it for a few days. The reason I think the iPad is a flop is the app store model. With the degree of lockdown apple has over the app store, all I can do is hope they never really catch on. Imagine if windows was locked down that hard. HTML5 would have never happened because you wouldn't be allowed to install any browser except for IE6.