Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately, Chrome's Adblock is nowhere near as good as FF's

Sencha - Community Support Team mystix's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mystix will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Unfortunately, Chrome's Adblock is nowhere near as good as FF's
    is that so?

i'm using the AdThwart extension for Chrome and it seems to be doing its job pretty well (it's built on top of Firefox's AdBlock Plus' filters. AdBlock for firefox just doesn't cut it).

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

imho FF goes more worse each update. Now with FB 1.5 i have serious problems, crashes all the time. After one hour i have to restart, i have to kill the process manually.
    And, more worse, i loose cookies all the time.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    tryanDLS is on a distinguished road

I've been using FF 3.6 with Firebug 1.5 for several days on a couple different PCs with no issues - the memory footprint also seems much better than FF 3.5 or earlier.

If you're having crash issues, it's probably due to a bad extension. Try creating a new profile and adding extensions back one-by-one.

Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by mystix View Post
    is that so?

i'm using the AdThwart extension for Chrome and it seems to be doing its job pretty well (it's built on top of Firefox's AdBlock Plus' filters. AdBlock for firefox just doesn't cut it).
    Apparently, Chrome extensions cannot actually block access to URLs.

That's why Chrome's Adblock is based around CSS selectors. It just hides elements.

Which makes pages less annoying, but still spams your hard-bought bandwidth with stuff you don't want.

I'll have to dig up a little micro proxy I wrote in Java. It had a UI in which you could add regexs to match URLs which it would not forward, but return an HTTP 204 (No content) packet.

Sencha - Community Support Team mystix's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mystix will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Apparently, Chrome extensions cannot actually block access to URLs.

That's why Chrome's Adblock is based around CSS selectors. It just hides elements.

Which makes pages less annoying, but still spams your hard-bought bandwidth with stuff you don't want.

I'll have to dig up a little micro proxy I wrote in Java. It had a UI in which you could add regexs to match URLs which it would not forward, but return an HTTP 204 (No content) packet.
    I see... No wonder it doesn't seem to be improving download times...

I could save you the trouble of hunting for that micro proxy.
    I'm using one called BFilter -- it's available on sourceforge for both osx and windows (and Linux too iirc).

Vote Rating

Looks nice, but OTT for me. Not sure I understand what it does.

I just want to block it getting "*/ads/*" or "*/sponsor*" etc. I also use it to remove most of the chrome from my regular browsing sites like cyclingnews.com and guardian.co.uk so that they just look like black and white text.