Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    TheBuzzer is on a distinguished road

Default IE beats firefox in resize speed?

IE beats firefox in resize speed?

I just realized in the showcase. if you resize your main browser window. It takes a little while for firefox to change while in ie it changes almost instant.

Isn't firefox suppose to have faster javascript so whats up with the resizing of the window ?

Software Architect
    Vote Rating
    sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't firefox suppose to have faster javascript so whats up with the resizing of the window ?
    Thats exactly the problem. Everybody talks about javascript speed. The thing that takes most of the time is dom manipulation, and here IE is faster

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    TheBuzzer is on a distinguished road

Does this apply to gwt?
    http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...31567&seqNum=5

this says some dom optimizing techniques. However gwt is a java to javascript compiler.

So maybe the code will auto apply tech like instend of

get(i).get(j).setLogo("A LOGO");
    get(i).get(j).setName("A NAME");

it might be faster doing

MyWidget thewidget = get(i).get(j);
    thewidget.setLogo("A LOGO");
    thewidget.setName("A NAME");

will there be a different in speeds ?

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzzer View Post
    Does this apply to gwt?
    http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...31567&seqNum=5

this says some dom optimizing techniques. However gwt is a java to javascript compiler.

So maybe the code will auto apply tech like instend of

get(i).get(j).setLogo("A LOGO");
    get(i).get(j).setName("A NAME");

it might be faster doing

MyWidget thewidget = get(i).get(j);
    thewidget.setLogo("A LOGO");
    thewidget.setName("A NAME");

will there be a different in speeds ?
    It will definitely be faster to only call .get(int) twice instead of four times, especially if you dont turn on disableCastChecking in GWT 2.0. The compiler probably isn't smart enough to figure out that no other code can possibly change those arrays, but this would be worth trying out to test it.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    meroy is on a distinguished road

Adding a DOCTYPE will increase performance for Firefox. We are seeing this with FF 3.6. The increase is up to 40%. It's noticeable. This includes resizing.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Keep in mind that adding strict doctype can have some pretty drastic performance issues in IE though, especially if you have much in the way of tables. I don't have hard numbers, but our main concern appeared to stem from trying to get the offsetHeight of lots of dom elts in IE.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    meroy is on a distinguished road

Yes, you are correct. It's not always easy to come up with the HTML DOCTYPE/header so that all browsers perform at their best.

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

So i guess the browsers are not aware of HTML5?
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5