Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Bulle Bas is on a distinguished road

Default Designer updates: free?

Designer updates: free?

What are your pricing plans for updates? Do you get updates for free? I couldn't find info on the preorder-page.

Sencha - Management Team abe.elias's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    abe.elias is on a distinguished road

Initially we had thoughts of an annual fee, but decided to scrap that based on community feedback.

To clear up any confusion, the designer is a perpetual license. This means you buy it once without any obligations to upgrade annually.

We will also be providing free updates and enhancements for the designer until we announce our next version (just like ext 2 -> ext 3).

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Glad to hear that there is no annual fee.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    killfill is on a distinguished road

"We will also be providing free updates and enhancements for the designer until we announce our next version (just like ext 2 -> ext 3)."

This means when a new major version of designer (i.e. 2.x) will be out, then people should buy a new license?..

I hope version 2.x does not come out on two months.. :P

Vote Rating

All of our focus is on getting a 1.0 shipped and receiving feedback. Don't expect a 2.x version anytime soon.

Vote Rating
    nickweavers is on a distinguished road

In my experience, most products that operate on this model (the one referred to by abe.elias) tend to keep a version going for a year or more, so bug fixes and minor tweaks/enhancements are rolled out on point releases and are free. A new version is usually a major upgrade containing significant enhancements and requires a new license, which I think most people see as a fair deal. Often, discounts are offered to those upgrading from a prior release, possibly on a tiered scale giving highest discount on most recent prior release and decreasing discounts on older releases.

My impression is most software developers that survive tend to realise customers will feel ripped off if major releases are too frequent and provide little in the way of value for money. With ExtJS being close to their community, I suspect this is unlikely happen.

Personally, I think I'd be happy if ExtJS went with this model for Designer.
    Out of interest, do others agree this is a reasonably accurate description of the typical software license model and is it one they would be happy with for Designer?

TIA,
    Nick

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    NeXeon is on a distinguished road

Just playing with drag and drop for testing is not enough, you need to release a trial version with the save button enabled, showing generated code.
    As a possible customer, we need to test it that way to know "how many troubles we will find on the road"

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by nickweavers View Post
    In my experience, most products that operate on this model (the one referred to by abe.elias) tend to keep a version going for a year or more, so bug fixes and minor tweaks/enhancements are rolled out on point releases and are free. A new version is usually a major upgrade containing significant enhancements and requires a new license, which I think most people see as a fair deal. Often, discounts are offered to those upgrading from a prior release, possibly on a tiered scale giving highest discount on most recent prior release and decreasing discounts on older releases.

My impression is most software developers that survive tend to realise customers will feel ripped off if major releases are too frequent and provide little in the way of value for money. With ExtJS being close to their community, I suspect this is unlikely happen.

Personally, I think I'd be happy if ExtJS went with this model for Designer.
    Out of interest, do others agree this is a reasonably accurate description of the typical software license model and is it one they would be happy with for Designer?

TIA,
    Nick
    Thanks Nick,

You've described the process that we are striving for nicely.

We aim build productivity tools that we can use ourselves. Our goal is to keep these products accessible and feature rich for organizations of all sizes.

As a general rule, we attempt to keep major releases inline with our other products. So if Ext JS is 14 months between releases, you can expect 14 months between Designer Releases.