Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    carl23934 is on a distinguished road

I learn about the wheel. When the "wheel" consists of multiple layers, concepts, protocols and ideaologies- it's good to understand WHY things are the way they are.

I will probably eventually move to a framework, but I haven't fleshed out my needs just yet, and I have been careful to make sure I am following the commonalities I've see in all the major frameworks so when I do want to switch it will be relatively painless.

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Code Igniter's active record sold me in about 5 minutes.

I no longer have to develop really crappy Strings of SQL code. Also, I don't have to manage the code that enables me to not have to develop really crappy strings of SQL code.

The paradigm is the same for all frameworks. Either you spend time building tools or using tools. You figure out where you want to invest your time.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    meroy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia@tdg-i.com View Post
    Have you ever looked at adodb?

http://adodb.sourceforge.net/
    http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-active-record.htm

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Yes. And I believe it's much more powerful than CI's Active record implementation.

CI provides the MVC architecture for PHP that was easy for me to learn and adopt.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    BlueCamel is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia@tdg-i.com View Post

I no longer have to develop really crappy Strings of SQL code. Also, I don't have to manage the code that enables me to not have to develop really crappy strings of SQL code.
    Be careful with CI database. At least with the mysql and mysqli drivers, when dealing with large data sets there is no way to iterate through the data set without reading it all into an object first.

You think next_row() would allow for this but the first call to it ended up triggering a num_rows() request causing all results to be loaded.

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

we use adodb together with DBAL in TYPO3. And, i have to say, the code is old and not nice. There are many bugs when it comes to oracle or postgres.
    No easy stuff at all.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    meroy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by steffenk View Post
    we use adodb together with DBAL in TYPO3. And, i have to say, the code is old and not nice. There are many bugs when it comes to oracle or postgres.
    No easy stuff at all.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Vote Rating
    darren is on a distinguished road

You can combine an ORM by using DataMapper (not Ruby version) with CI as well.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    exterese is on a distinguished road

There is NO BEST framework. I personally now use Zend coming from Kohana 3, Kohana 2 and Code Igniter which I use 4 years ago for about 2 years. So listen...

1. Code Igniter DOES NOT SUPPORT PHP 5 - It's life will fade out very soon. It's library and docs are all discontinued.
    All Code Igniter users must switch to Kohana 2 (made by same team as Code Igniter) at least. It will shock you to see how much better Kohana is. Moreover Kohana 2 is gonna get pushed away by Kohana 3.
    2. Kohana 3 is lightning fast, in fact, the fastest to echo 'hello world' from front controller and it is limitless and flexible.
    Disadvantages: Hardly any docs, Not thoroughly tested. Requires deeper understanding and longer structural learning curve. Kohana 3 deploys most Zend methodologies like structure where Class Model_Form_EXT is models/forms/ext.php which makes Kohana 3 look like Zend. That alone defeats the purpose of using Kohana 3. At this stage, I would be very cautious using it for big corporate projects, that's why I use old reliable Zend now which happend to be written by PHP Development team.