Ext User
    Vote Rating
    bulforce is on a distinguished road

Exclamation OFFICIAL Question to the ext dev team [Grid Performance]

OFFICIAL Question to the ext dev team [Grid Performance]

Hello there,
    I am going to start series of questions that should address several issues with EXTJS... an issues that are preventing me from using this library in nothing really serious.

The first question is of critical importance to me and probably a lot of the others.

WHEN extjs team will fix the grid and related to it components ?

To clarify my question will only say that the current grid component(s) is/are useful only in case there is little data in them (less than 20-25 rows with no more than 5-6 columns). This is totally useless in any kind of enterprise application.

Please don't understand me wrong. I am not saying that a grind cannot be configured to display larger data sets. It definitely can do it but the performance is damaged to a point where the developer ass starts hurting while users are using the app.

I have seen some steps in that direction (buffer view, live-grid) but nothing really stable and official.

Deeper look into that issue alone... is a clear no-go in case the application will have to work with larger data sets.

P.S. I would prefer if "Animal" stay out of this topic as the last 15 replies i read from him... were all advices how we need to read the docs and not really helping the users with problems.

bulforce is not a native English speaker!

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

I don't think that ranting help getting qualified answers.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough

Hej Bully!

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by steffenk View Post
    I don't think that ranting help getting qualified answers.
    I am sorry if my question is too direct. It is just something that is really a stopper for me.

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

The DOM structure used to create grids is quite large and inherently slow.

If your grid is too big to get a good browser response then you must indeed find a way to reduce the grid DOM.

You already listed two view replacements (LiveGrid and BufferGridView), but there are others methods:
    - There is a TableGridView user extension that uses a plain <table> element to render the grid (this does however put some restrictions on what you can do with the grid).
    - Remote paging (for very large datasets) or local paging (for intermediate datasets - use the PagingStore user extension).

Vote Rating
    thomasf is on a distinguished road

Sorry for posting cross links to other posting, but this relates to this topic i think.

Vote Rating
    Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough

I guess with Bully not wanting to listen to anything I have to say, he should stay well away from here: http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthrea...=TableGridView

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough

What exactly is not stable or official about the buffered grid view? I'm shipping code with it. It works great.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

First, one more time sorry if the tone of my post is somehow aggressive.

Thanks to Condor for summarizing the situation and recapping the possible solutions.

Also thanks to Animal for pointing me to something that may deserve attention. I will give it a try. Anyway I still think that he should stop sending people to the docs so often... just an advice.

And to the last guy, Yes buffer view is a huge step forward, however this approach doesn't really solve the problem as even if only visible rows are rendered, those visible rows are still way too heavy. Also I have experimented with it in several different scenarios and for example combining it with grouping give pains as the group titles are with different height and this is messing up the whole calculation of the visible area.

As I see it, making a lightweight full featured grid component will take more than hacking here and there or writing plugins. It basically needs totally new approach. For example I really dont know how the grids are done in SmartClient but they handle large data sets with ease and give the user a lot better experience.

Thanks

Vote Rating

The docs are the primary information source.

Are you suggesting that they be removed, and everyone should rely on getting someone to POST the information they need?

If the information they need is there in the docs, what in God's name is incorrect about pointing someone at the docs?