Sencha - Community Support Team mschwartz's Avatar
    San Diego, Peoples' Republic of California
    Vote Rating
    mschwartz will become famous soon enough mschwartz will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by abe.elias View Post
    At Ext, we could never standardize on an IDE no matter how hard we tried. We have TextMate, Aptana, Komodo, vim, VS, Eclipse, etc running through our blood. Each of us love working in "our" IDE. If we couldn't convince ourselves to use a standard IDE, the last thing we wanted was to try to force our community to use a "new IDE".

With that in mind, the Designer is not intended to be a code editor. The Designer complements your favorite tool of choice to make you even more productive.

Please continue to send any ideas our way.
    Real men jiggle magnets next to the disk drive to get the bits lined up so the code is perfect.

When all else fails, ed or tico.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Warebear is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by abe.elias View Post
    At Ext, we could never standardize on an IDE no matter how hard we tried. We have TextMate, Aptana, Komodo, vim, VS, Eclipse, etc running through our blood. Each of us love working in "our" IDE. If we couldn't convince ourselves to use a standard IDE, the last thing we wanted was to try to force our community to use a "new IDE".

With that in mind, the Designer is not intended to be a code editor. The Designer complements your favorite tool of choice to make you even more productive.

Please continue to send any ideas our way.
    Yeah I actually don't even use an IDE, I have been considering using either Aptana or Eclipse (tomato, tomata) but I've had several issues with our proxy here with both, as well as, getting them to work efficiently with ExtJS without having to add in plugins and hope all versions match up, etc. So I just stick with Notepad++ to code the pages.

So if you do plan to toss a version out that IS an IDE, I'll be a happy camper..

Until then...I'll still be enjoying the fine work from Ext team and still using the framework, just because this didn't work for MY needs, the framework is still awesome.

Vote Rating
    lorezyra will become famous soon enough lorezyra will become famous soon enough

At first glance, this designer tool looks cool... While I realize this is still v1.0[xds-1.0.0.6], it would be nice if it came a bit more polished. For 200USD, I find it difficult to say that I must buy this given the current "Designer Known Issues":

# Undo/Redo Support is currently disabled
    # Recent projects are not added at runtime
    # Once you turn off splash screen, no way to get it back
    # Nested grids and other "databound" components break when previewing
    # Code Generation does not abide by spaces to indent
    # Nested grids and other "databound" components break when previewing
    # Clear configuration icon cannot be seen if string is longer than field
    # Multiline templates which are nested several levels deep do not get broken apart into an array
    # fieldLabel of an HTMLEditor cannot be edited inline
    # Double click a button to edit text when a menu is bound to it

With that said, I still love the framework and will continue to push it with my customers.
    Perfection as a goal is a nice idea that can point one in a specific direction. However, since "perfection" is an ever changing (evolving?) and moving target, one must admit that perfection can never be obtained...

When in doubt, check the d4mn source code!
    ================================================
    And here are my terms...
    1. I don't care if you use my source code. (Known as "Code.")
    2. I don't care if I get any monetary compensation.
    3. I do care to receive credit for Code provided. So, please keep my name in the comments for Code provided.
    4. Code is provided without warranty "AS-IS" and I claim absolutely no warranty nor liability to the quality, security, and run-ability on any platform.
    5. By using Code, you accept all risk inherit with Code regardless if Code has known and yet to be discovered bugs.
    6. You are welcome to change and improve the Code to best meet your needs.
    7. I don't care if you use the Code in a commercial or open-source project.
    8. You are not required to contact me prior to using the Code.
    ================================================
    Simple. Enjoy.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by lorezyra View Post
    , I find it difficult to say that I must buy this given the current "Designer Known Issues":
    I will update this thread, several of these issues have been resolved.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    tarkpea is on a distinguished road

I recently wrote about the same issue on my blog so I you do not mind, I'll post some of the "lessons learned" section here aswell:

Balsamiq Mockups is a great tool. For me. It is intuitive and easy to use, saves lots of time and I’m going to buy it once I get tired of the nagging and the saving issues.

Ext Designer is not a tool for mockuping at all and to be honest and with all my respect and love for Ext, I don’t understand what this tool is good for and I will not buy it.

I would not ever use this for project that is larger than maybe 3 screens. The code, considering the way we work, is nearly unusable. Also - after 2 hours of trying to get some data into grids (considering that I have worked with Ext for nearly two years now) I still could not understand how to do it and gave up. Not good.
    Read whole post here: http://tarkpea.tumblr.com/post/508559745/on-mockuping