Hybrid View

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Deadmeat is on a distinguished road

Default Third Party Code Contrubutions

Third Party Code Contrubutions

Is there a way to get a third party patch included as a default component in ExtJS. I don't mean a whole new class of widget, or just a small bugfix, but something in between, an upgrade to an existing component, but not a rewrite.

Is there a process for submitting code, or guidelines about what will/won't be accepted.

My request concerns something fairly specific, and I ask because I wrote an extension which adds "basic" functionality, but I don't really have time to maintain it. A few users have asked if the functionality will ever be in the core version. So far I've assumed that is impossible I could contribute it.

The extension is the multiselect drag and drop for trees. The component was written because I considered this a "missing" feature.

If I rewrite this extension as a patch, is there any way to get it added to the core. I assume it's not possible, (for a host of licensing, QA, and compatibility reasons) but if it is possible, what are the rules, and limitations I would have to abide by.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

We rarely accept patches to the source as is. Contributions to the library normally come in as concepts or ideas which we implement ourselves so that they meld well with the framework.

In some situations we will allow for users to submit a CLA and contribute the code back to Ext proper. Multiselection drag and drop would be something that is worthwhile and we will consider adding such a feature in Ext 4.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Deadmeat is on a distinguished road

That makes sense. I imagined that it would be rare, and each instance evaluated on it's merits. I personally dread future maintenance for code I didn't author.

I'm willing to reorganize my code into a patch, even it is just a functional reference rather than a final implementation. If that will help get the features included in the default tree, it's not a massive undertaking.

If I do it, what then. Do I just post it to the extensions forum with a patch sign on it. Is there any chance at all it will be picked up and looked at.

Of course I'm aware that your devs are probably mindlessly busy already. I know I usually am.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
    I'm willing to reorganize my code into a patch, even it is just a functional reference rather than a final implementation. If that will help get the features included in the default tree, it's not a massive undertaking.
    We'd prefer to write it ourselves.

The only time we arrange CLA's like this is if there is a unique component or concept that someone has created that we want to refactor.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Thread Participants: 1