Hybrid View

Vote Rating
    TopKatz is on a distinguished road

Default iPad thread

iPad thread

So my shiny new pad showed up yesterday and of course one of the first things I did was pull up my app with it. Most of the functionality works as expected. Here are a coupe of things I noticed right off the bat. Maybe others could post issues they have seen and solutions to them.

1. Toolbar button text appears to overlap icons slightly. This is not that big a deal.

2. Grids have a conceptual issue when working with touch devices. How can you perform a double click? I have lots of grids with double click for select behavior. On the pad, and iPhone double tap zooms. I suppose I could add a "open selected" button for mobile device support. However it does raise a interesting issue.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Bucs is on a distinguished road

I think a bigger issue with the grid is the inability of grids to scroll at all. Not sure if this is a browser issue or what. Don't think so as even the ExtJS examples do not scroll...which severely cripples most applications that rely on scrolling grids (like mine). The scrollbar simply does not show up. I suppose you can always retool scrolling grids to paging ones, but that will be a significant amount of work.

I have also noticed that the back button in certain text input fields does not work.

And the drop down date box goes haywire as well, not even sure where to begin to describe what's going wrong with that.

Will Ext be looking into any of issues on running ExtJS apps on the iPad? Sure hope so. And we are all still waiting on ANYTHING out of Ext on what exactly the ext.mobile framework is, what it's capable of, when to expect something, or if it will ever exist. Truly dissappointed on that one.

Vote Rating
    xantus is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs View Post
    I think a bigger issue with the grid is the inability of grids to scroll at all.....
    I noticed that too. I'll take a look at it.

(I'm not officially working on ext mobile stuff, so I'm not the one to ask about that)
    Software Engineer
    http://xant.us/

Vote Rating

I've been playing with the iPad also. I'm posting over at Xantus' HTML5 Blog

I'm concentrating on getting all the draggable widgets working, and then I'm going to tackle some gestures, like the 4 finger box resize.
    Software Engineer

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Very cool xantus, so does your blog post mean that you have the slider on all grids working now? Is this going to be a fix to the Ext base or grid libs that we can simply update to? That would be sweet.

I also noticed that "zooming" into an ExtJS app wreaks havoc on the viewport and screen sizing and mgmt. Be nice to be able to turn that off on a page by page basis.

Please keep the iPad and HTML5 blog and/or forum posts coming, I am VERY interested in the offline DB support and connection state mgmt of HTML5. I want to know what road I should be taking regarding building a mobile aspect of my medical field based app. I need something in the O.R....the iPad is the perfect device. So I need to know what ExtJS is going to offer to make using this device a reality in the field, and where my development efforts should be directed.

At first glance, it doesn't appear that "normal" ExtJS developed apps are going to work out of the box, at least not until they are patched. Glad to see somebody is alreasdy working on these issues...but would LOVE more info on ext.mobile....Buehler, anybody, Buehler?

Thanks

- Oh, I think by "slider", you mean the slider controls...not that slider bar on the grids. That's a biggie issue then still, hope we can get that fixed.

- Ok, sorry for the ext.mobile questions then. Sure would be nice to hear from someone though on that...for the life of me I still don't understand the reason for shroud of secrecy surrounding that topic.
    Last edited by Bucs; 4 Apr 2010 at 7:51 AM. Reason: saw new post...

Vote Rating

Very cool xantus, so does your blog post mean that you have the slider on all grids working now? Is this going to be a fix to the Ext base or grid libs that we can simply update to? That would be sweet.
    You mean fixing the scroll bars right? I haven't got to that yet.

I also noticed that "zooming" into an ExtJS app wreaks havoc on the viewport and screen sizing and mgmt. Be nice to be able to turn that off on a page by page basis.
    I haven't seen that yet. Could you check if this helps:
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />
    That forces the viewport width to the device width.

Please keep the iPad and HTML5 blog and/or forum posts coming, I am VERY interested in the offline DB support and connection state mgmt of HTML5. I want to know what road I should be taking regarding building a mobile aspect of my medical field based app. I need something in the O.R....the iPad is the perfect device. So I need to know what ExtJS is going to offer to make using this device a reality in the field, and where my development efforts should be directed.
    I'm excited about HTML5 too, so I started a Google group for the iPad and HTML5. You might want to join if you're doing some iPad hacking. You can find the link on my first blog post.

At first glance, it doesn't appear that "normal" ExtJS developed apps are going to work out of the box, at least not until they are patched. Glad to see somebody is alreasdy working on these issues...but would LOVE more info on ext.mobile....Buehler, anybody, Buehler?

Thanks

- Oh, I think by "slider", you mean the slider controls...not that slider bar on the grids. That's a biggie issue then still, hope we can get that fixed.

- Ok, sorry for the ext.mobile questions then. Sure would be nice to hear from someone though on that...for the life of me I still don't understand the reason for shroud of secrecy surrounding that topic.
    Yes, Slider controls.

Yep, Right now I'm concerned about getting normal Ext apps working on the iPad.
    Software Engineer

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Xantus,

Regarding:
    I haven't seen that yet. Could you check if this helps:
    Code:
     	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />
    No, that does not seem to make anything better, in fact it makes the app look much worse. The browser is doing a fine job of making the app perfectly viewable and expanding to fill the viewport on it's own. The meta tag seems to "zoom in" on the whole page, making the app much more blown-up, almost like it's changing the pixelation of the browser to a much lower resolution. Plus, it didn't change the behavior that I first reported.

Try this, go to a grid section (mine happens to be on the left hand nav)...and double tap to "zoom-in" to the grid which expands that grid section of the app within the browser. Next, make a row selection...on mine the whole grid that is in the panel disappears completely and I have to refresh the page to get it back. This only happens when you have zoomed in to something...so it appears that the viewport is getting very confused with the zooming feature of the browser. Hopefully it's not a nesting issue on my part.

Another big issue is the date field...it expands to fill the viewable screen horizontally and no date information is present. This cripples the app as well as it relies heavily on date selection. Hope you can take a look at that as well.

Thanks!

Ext JS Premium Member Steffen Hiller's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough

The scrolling issue is due to the mobile webkit, which doesn't support scrolling divs.

I've been missing that feature for a long time on the iPhone.
    There's a project called iScroll which tries to fix that through JavaScript: http://cubiq.org/scrolling-div-for-m...kit-turns-3/16
    Haven't played around with it, though.

Anyhow, it's not really a bug in the Ext JS framework, but maybe there's a way to build a work around.
    On the other hand, I'm hoping that the new iPhone OS 4.0 is going to fix that.

Steffen