PDA

View Full Version : Sencha Examples

soze
17 Jun 2010, 2:08 AM
Is there a reason why none of the demos display on either the web or on my Motorola Milestone (In US terms - Droid). There is nothing different whether viewing on my device on on my PC.

Also, the Sencha Touch download isn't available.

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 2:37 AM
You should be able to download, there may have just been some link issues from the initial site switchover.

soze
17 Jun 2010, 2:39 AM
Thanks! The download is working now. So you think this will also be affecting the demo sites as well?

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 2:47 AM
It's possible, we're still going through a few site updates.

rblon
17 Jun 2010, 6:44 AM
I have downloaded the code and I am running the examples from my own server.
They look great on the iPad and especially the Solitaire example really proves that web applications are the way forward (having the look-and-feel of a native app, but withouth the hassle of installing/updating a native app).
I have also tried it on the Nexus One (Android 2.2), but many examples don't work.
This does lead to the question how the Sencha team envisions a project with a desktop / mobile / ipad user interface should be set-up? What bits of client code can be integrated and what bits should be separate?
Also, I notice that Sencha Touch used the Ext namespace and familiar Ext functionality (eg Ext.Ajax.Request). However, it doesn't seem ExtJS library is integrally part of the code. So how are the libraries related?

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 6:55 AM
Many of the examples we're designed specifically for the iPad form factor as opposed to the phone. But any feedback on the specific issues you are having with Android would be great.

We do plan on adding a small layer to help with that bit of presentation that can change on different sized devices. It should be going into the beta code soon.

Ext and Sencha Touch share quite a bit of code. Some lower level functions could be removed since we don't have to worry about legacy browser support for mobile devices. Other parts are code that is intended to be shared between Sencha Touch and our next generation of Ext JS 4.x.

rblon
17 Jun 2010, 8:20 AM
I think it would be good idea to indicate which examples are for the iPad, which ones for mobile and which ones for both. Now, if someone goes with his iPhone or Android to the Solitaire example, he wouldn't be impressed, while it is actually great web app, on an iPad...

One thing I need to get my head around is the fact that Sencha Touch uses the same objects as ExtJS, however with different properties, methods and events. Are they "under the hood" the same objects?

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 2:10 PM
One thing I need to get my head around is the fact that Sencha Touch uses the same objects as ExtJS, however with different properties, methods and events. Are they "under the hood" the same objects?

Many classes have been re-factored or completely rewritten. We want the mobile library to be as light as possible while still providing as much functionality as we can. A lot of code moves back and forth between the two libraries, especially with Ext 4.x.

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 2:13 PM
I think it would be good idea to indicate which examples are for the iPad, which ones for mobile and which ones for both. Now, if someone goes with his iPhone or Android to the Solitaire example, he wouldn't be impressed, while it is actually great web app, on an iPad...

All the examples are still a work in progress. The issue here was really time and we are still making some of the apps work better on both platforms. There are additional examples coming in the future as well.

mdm-adph
21 Jun 2010, 11:04 AM
Could I make a request? All my dev is done at my company on servers that don't default to "index.html" when loading a directory URL -- could those URL's be made absolute in the next release of Sencha Touch? :) Just a little thing, I know, but one that would help out a lot.

lvanderree
27 Jun 2010, 2:19 PM
Great showcase! But where is my 8... ;-) I didn' t hide it...

http://fun4me.demon.nl/~leon/solitaire.jpg

TommyMaintz
29 Jun 2010, 2:17 PM
Haha, we've seen that bug several times but we aren't sure why it is happening... You can refresh the page (it saves the state of the game) and that will probably give you your 8 back.

lsherrod
1 Jul 2010, 6:37 AM
I think I found your "8"... but it was in my discard pile. Whenever I flipped another card it would go into the discard pile UNDER the existing card.

Still... the app is pretty impressive!!

albertokstro
7 Jul 2010, 6:26 PM
Hi Everybody...The new Sencha touch is amazing!!!

i'm building an app with sencha, but need an example to know how load items in a nestedList via JSON...

Regards...