PDA

View Full Version : Gmap application - runs fine on local host but not on my web site

buttar
17 Jun 2010, 4:03 AM
Hi
I have a Gmap application that runs fine on local host although IE shows an error: 'dom' is null or not an object.

On the web it gives an additional error - Object expected- and never shows a map. I do have a separate Gmap API key for the web.

To simplify I have put the Extjs's Gmap example on the site, and get the same error and no map. Other ext examples work fine on the site, suggesting ext files are configured properly.

Please have a look at : http://www.purdada.com/gmap2.htm the map example
and : http://www.purdada.com/complex.html -- border layout example.

Please help. My free to use big application is ready to be uploaded.

Thanks

Animal
17 Jun 2010, 4:16 AM
How have you debugged?

buttar
17 Jun 2010, 4:42 AM
I have tried to put all the file in place as they are on the local host, and see what I may be doing wrong.
Other than that I have not gone through any debugging process. Am I missing something to do when moving from local to web?

Thanks

Animal
17 Jun 2010, 4:43 AM
Mmm.

How have you debugged?

buttar
17 Jun 2010, 5:12 AM
I think I don't know how to debug this. If I can get a map up there then I can play around by trial and error to find out what is going wrong.

Animal
17 Jun 2010, 5:15 AM
How do you normally go about debugging? You don't use ext-all-debug.js, set breakpoints and see what's wrong?

buttar
17 Jun 2010, 5:23 AM
No. I just use alert("hello") and find my way around. This have been enough for me so far and I have done quite a bit. If this surprises, I am a geoscientist with self taught programming skills rather than other way around.

buttar
17 Jun 2010, 5:29 AM
Further, the application runs fine bug free on local host. Perhaps it is just some file structure that is not right on my web site location.

Animal
17 Jun 2010, 5:35 AM
All the more reason for you to learn how to debug properly.

alert will WASTE you hundreds of man hours of expensive geoscientist time!

Use ext-all-debug.js, set FIREBUG to break at the error line, and look at what is wrong.

buttar
17 Jun 2010, 5:42 AM
Thanks. I will try ext-all-debug.js and get back with error line if I can't fix it.