PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ext-all-debug.js

Elijah
7 Jul 2010, 4:42 AM
I have seen several posts asking people if they are using ext-all-debug.js for debugging and keep wondering
How exactly is it to be used for debugging?
Is it just a matter of using it with firebug to see errors or are there special calls to be made to it?
Right now in firebug it gives me the message
me.dom is undefined for line 5846
me.dom.className += (!me.hasClass(v) && v ? " " + v : "");\n and frankly I dont know what I'm to think in regards to this. Should the ext-debug.js have its logic changed to not throw that error or is that suppose to be telling me something different?

Also, do I have to always include it in the project or may I omit the include for it?

Chods
7 Jul 2010, 4:46 AM
The debug version of the script is not compressed and easier to step through. Thats all. You should be able to switch your app between release and debug mode in order to deploy the correct file to aid development or the optimised file to speed up download in your live environment.

Elijah
7 Jul 2010, 5:04 AM
So then if thats all there is then is the error above an error in the .js file? Because that error tells me absolutely NOTHING.

Chods
7 Jul 2010, 5:08 AM
well try debugging. set a breakpoint with a condition. look at the stack, what calling this. Is it a scope issue. Its quite hard to get used to debugging in firefox but its incredibly powerful when you get used to it.

If me.dom is undefined it tells me that me probably isnt what that method ecpects it to be. so where is 'me' set and what is it set to.

mschwartz
7 Jul 2010, 5:32 AM
I would look at the stack trace and see what functions were called along the way to the error. You can see if some argument passed to a subroutine is wrong along the way and get a pretty good clue what you did wrong in your code. I say your code because there are no bugs in ExtJS :)

Elijah
7 Jul 2010, 6:17 AM
Error in my code. LOL.
I run this thing over and over and over and once in a while that me.dom error pops up. I use FireBug all the time. and have no errors in any thing that I am running. So I think that something just is not carrying through to the me.dom. As for the stack trace to see what functinos are called, I know the functions aside from whatever ExtJS is running behind the scenes. I have maybe 1/2 dozen methods that get tripped and they make use of ExtJS library things such as panels, grid panels, datastores. Nothing is broken on the app, only issues I am currently dealing with are other peoples code on project where Null Pointer exceptions are thrown, null values being sent in json as the value 'null' instead of '' and on the tab panel the last panel always mis rendering on the first load see http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?102380-TabPanel-with-3-grid-panels-rendering-incorrectly-always-on-the-last-tab-1st-render later today when I can get my other system on the network at home I'll work on posting code for the grid panel.

Chods
7 Jul 2010, 6:29 AM
I looked at the ext debug code at that line number and the nearest thing to it was the fadeIn function. are you using this?

Elijah
7 Jul 2010, 6:33 AM
No. I did not know that it was even an option. I edited my debug.js file to check to ensure that

me.dom
and
me.dom.className
are not == null so now i do not get the errors :)

Chods
7 Jul 2010, 6:36 AM
I wouldnt recomend editing the debug file. The mistake is definitely in your code. Editing the debug file with give you a headache should you need to upgrade.