PDA

View Full Version : Designer slow to open and slow to load data



scottco
11 Jul 2010, 10:17 AM
I'm finding that the Designer is slow to open - like about 30 seconds to get the splash screen.

I'm also finding that loading data to a store is slow - the Designer shows 'not responding' and then either the url (localhost using Visual Studio dev server) doesn't get called (maybe Designer times out?) or it eventually gets called - again their is a delay which is variable - but it is never called within a second or 2 of clicking load data which seems wrong.

Not sure if these are both related? And I'm not using a proxy server.

Anyone else getting this?

I'm runing 2.0.2.2 on Windows 7 64.

Scott

jarrednicholls
12 Jul 2010, 7:08 AM
Hi Scott,

I haven't seen or heard of the Load Data issue before. The slow start up in Windows I have seen once before in Windows XP, but it was sporadic and I wasn't able to reliably reproduce the issue.

Do you have a software firewall or anything to that effect install/enabled on your machine? If so, does disabling it result in any difference?

Thanks,
Jarred

scottco
12 Jul 2010, 7:23 AM
Hi Jarred,

Sorry, should have said that I've tried disabling the Windows firewall - that didn't make a difference. I have also tried deleting the ProxyConfig in the designer ini - clutching at straws! - but this didn't help either.

The opening of the designer client is failrly consistenly slow (very occasionally it opens quickly) - I timed it today and it took about 40 seconds.

The data load is very inconsistent - loads the data sometimes within 5 seconds - other times it fails after about 40 seconds (I'd guess the timeout is about 40 secs?).

As its affecting startup (connect to license server) and data load (connect to service) I'm assuming its some kind of networking issue??

Is any of the following software likely to affect it: MS Security Essentials, SpyBot S+D.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

jarrednicholls
12 Jul 2010, 7:31 AM
Hey Scott,

When the software starts up, we do a single HTTP request out to check for an update, and this check currently is timed out in 5 seconds via a timer in the software...so even if the request occurred and it was just sitting and waiting a long time for a response, the timer would kill the request and load up the splash screen.

The slow start, I believe, is unrelated to the Load Data problem...but, they could both be caused by the same thing, e.g., a piece of software that is introspecting the application as it makes Win32 API calls...such as an anti-virus program. MS Security Essentials or SpyBot S+D are also doing similar types of things. I would absolutely try disabling everything about those two applications to see if there is any effect...just to cover our bases and try to have as vanilla as an environment as possible. On my Windows 7 machine, I don't have anything other than Windows Defender running (on a standard home network) and have not been able to reproduce either issue. However, I have a Windows XP SP2 instance that I *was* able to cause a long startup issue much like you are experiencing...and it was also a vanilla installation (no anti-virus or anything like that). But we can at least start there, and I'll see if I can reproduce it again on my WinXP machine and go from there.

Thanks, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience! It seems like a rare issue, but we'll do what we can to figure it out and get it resolved.

Jarred

scottco
12 Jul 2010, 7:57 AM
I will try that and let you know. Thanks,

scottco
13 Jul 2010, 3:41 PM
Hi,

Stopped the firewall and spybot and anti-virus and anything else that was not needed. Still slow to start up and slow to load data.

And the slow performance is also consistent on 2 different networks - both without proxies. Could it be something to do with host resolution??

I'll post some videos if it helps :-) Otherwise I'm struggling for ideas on this one - any further suggestions?

Oh - and got the latest upgrade 1.0.24 - the upgrade was a lot smoother this time- ta.

Scott

jarrednicholls
14 Jul 2010, 6:47 AM
Hi Scott,

I was able to get the slow startup to occur on my WinXP machine. I am still diagnosing where the bottleneck is occurring...I think it is during DLL resolution and certain Win32 API calls, which is a layer below the framework I am programming against (Qt). I haven't figured out the slow network load issue, but it could be DNS resolution for sure. You can try adding the host to your hosts file on the machine, which will resolve the DNS instantaneously (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I believe).

I'm glad to hear the latest upgrade went smoothly!

scottco
14 Jul 2010, 7:54 AM
Hi Jarred,

Thanks for the reply. Tried the hosts file trick - it didn't help :-(. I'll try to download Wireshark later and look at the network traffic - at least see if the call is slow / being made at all etc.

Scott

jarrednicholls
14 Jul 2010, 8:21 AM
Good idea Scott, let me know what you find out. Thanks!