PDA

View Full Version : Wait for Ext JS Version 4.0?

MrSparks
15 Jul 2010, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I'm about to start developing an application (having previously identified that EXT JS was the right framework a few months back) however Iíve just spotted that version 4.0 is on the road map.

The road map suggests that some areas of V4 will be rewritten. With that in mind... My question are:

1. Will code written under V3 work in V4?
2. Is it worth waiting for V4 or does it make no difference if I start on V3 and end up releasing on V4?

Many thanks
Sparky

tryanDLS
15 Jul 2010, 11:19 AM
I would suggest starting with 3.x. The 4.0 version is getting some rework under the covers, but the intent is to maintain backward compatibility, as much as possible.

Animal
15 Jul 2010, 11:20 AM
You should be OK going with Ext 3.

If you use standard, documented APIs, and don't access the internals of the classes, or DOM structures, the changes should be very manageable, almost mechanical when it comes to upgrading to 4.

The essential concept of the class hierarchy, and the Container+Layout->Component layout strategy and lifecycle management are unchanged. These are the concepts which if you fully grasp them, will allow you a trouble free ExtJS project.

Elijah
15 Jul 2010, 12:17 PM
And what comes after 4? 4.x 4.xx then 5 you'll wait forever. Jump on the bandwagon now I say.

MrSparks
16 Jul 2010, 12:11 PM
Ok great, Iím feeling much more comfortable about not having to do a re-write further down the line.

Looking forward to getting stuck into EXT JS 3.x and contributing to the community.

Many thanks for the replies.

Sparky