PDA

View Full Version : How to figure out which version of Ext is running?

fjanon
3 Aug 2007, 2:43 AM
Is there a way, like using a method or a property in the DOM, to figure out which version of Ext is running?

if not, feature request: add a version string property in Ext or even better an object like:

Ext.version = {
major: 1, // or "1"
minor: 1,
release: 0,
level: "RC1",
full: "1.1.0 RC1"
}

Thanks

Fred

brian.moeskau
3 Aug 2007, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't you already know what version you are running? What type of programmatic decision point would use this object?

jay@moduscreate.com
3 Aug 2007, 4:11 PM
good point. if you're the developer you should be fully aware of what libs and versions of those libs you're using.

trbs
3 Aug 2007, 4:21 PM
unless your writing User eXtentions....

(Yes you can also release multiple versions of your contribution for different versions, i'm just saying one could argue for Ext.ux ;) )

also Ext 2.0 will likely be so very different that checking for version numbers will not be very useful i guess.

fjanon
4 Aug 2007, 3:58 AM
Wouldn't you already know what version you are running? What type of programmatic decision point would use this object?

I write components that others include in the web pages to run on different servers with potentially different versions of the libraries.

Programmatic decisions:
- apply a patch or not
- use features that were not implemented in a previous release
- load a version or another of a component or javascript

This is specially important in an environment where the server and the libraries updates are not under the control of the developer and even worse when several servers run different versions of the libraries.

jay@moduscreate.com
4 Aug 2007, 4:00 AM
-...even worse when several servers run different versions of the libraries.
sounds like bad communication between a site/server admin and his fellow developers.

on a side note, the version of extjs *should* - i think - be shown at least on the doc pages. I could care less if it is there but i think it makes sense.