PDA

View Full Version : Detect/Handle Pixelation differences?

Bucs
27 Jul 2010, 12:13 PM
I'm finally getting ready to start working with Touch, been looking forward to it :)

I am working with a graphics guy who has been doing some some normal DHTML development for mobile devices for a while and sees value in the Touch framework. However, he has some questions that I am not able to track down answers for from the docs. I have two main ones right now:

1) Does the framework offer any detection capabilities for SPECIFIC user agent models?
I see the platform singleton has isAndroid and isIPhone...but now we have two very different iPhones in 3Gs and 4 which have very different pixel resolutions. Is there a way to detect the pixelation of the user agent and load more dense graphics so the images appear crisper (as they should) on the newer phones? Is there another way to handle this? I had heard of a "presentation" component that would help with these decisions, but don't see anything as of now.

2) Or, is there a third party detection package that we should use?
There are a TON of user agents out there and they change on seemingly daily basis so maybe this task is better suited for a third party app? Ideally I'd like to have something at the web site root that redirects traffic between web and mobile devices. Seems like a large task to manage via hand-rolled code.

Thanks for any comments on theses :)

Bucs
28 Jul 2010, 9:19 AM
Anybody have any idea on this? Nobody is loading different graphics based on the pixelation differences in all the various mobile devices out there?

hendricd
4 Aug 2010, 8:15 AM
Anybody have any idea on this? Nobody is loading different graphics based on the pixelation differences in all the various mobile devices out there?

This artifact on 'media queries' may set things in motion for you: http://notes.jessedodds.com/post/730336221