PDA

View Full Version : Beta to 1.0 Release

Frank R
29 Jul 2010, 11:02 AM
When does this change from Beta .9 to a 1.0 Release?

TommyMaintz
29 Jul 2010, 11:54 AM
Our goal is to get the 1.0 release as stable as possible. We have several more beta releases planned, and are hoping to have a 1.0 release by the beginning of September.

Frank R
29 Jul 2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the response.

We need to lock and load our tools strategy for a series of Android web apps - inside of the next 30 days.
With deployment 11/1/2010.

What would be your advice? Are we inside the window to stability and production use?

TommyMaintz
29 Jul 2010, 5:23 PM
That gives you 3 months to develop the apps. 2 months of developing with a stable Sencha Touch API. From the current release to the stable 1.0 release most components and API's are not going to change. The following list are major things that are going to change from now to the 1.0 release:

NestedList (API will change)
Picker (API might change)
Forms (API will remain the same)
Android performance / stability / bugs (Won't affect API mostly)
Carousel (API remains the same)

Of course there are new components still in the works that you might want to add to your project after the 1.0 release. We also plan to ship a new client-side MVC framework with one of the upcoming beta releases. If you would want to use that (which I highly advise) that means some refactoring of your app structure and implementation.

I would say that realistically you will have 2 months of production / testing / stabilizing your apps un till deployment. I suggest if you decide to use Sencha Touch, I would use the upcoming month to get familiar with the library and create proof of concepts. This will get you familiar with our components, our layouts and our data package.

The only thing that I would like to add is that if you decide not to use Sencha Touch, but still want to create web apps for Android, you probably have less chance to make the November deadline. There is a lot of work that you would have to do yourself that is taken care of by our library. Also, by using Sencha Touch, you are guaranteed continuous improvements to the performance, stability and new functionality.