PDA

View Full Version : SVG in 2010

bobmane
5 Aug 2010, 2:16 PM
I keep seeing SVG mentioned in regard to creating scalable mobile / web graphics and in relation to CSS3 SASS, etc....

My last look (several years ago) at SVG was a (possibly misinterpreted) conclusion was it was a format by Adobe that never really took off but that could be made in .ai

So what is the role of SVG in this solution? What is the process?

--

am I even close to correct in the conclusion that SVG is being mentioned more lately because it can be scripted?

--

am I even close to correct in the conclusion that SVG can be scripted and therefore entire UI can be made once but that same UI will scale in browser or device based on XML rules and sensing?

nosarious
5 Aug 2010, 3:17 PM
I think that scripting and create once-use multiple sizes would be a benefit. It probably requires less processing power than scaling bitmap graphics too.

I am hopeful that a system like Sencha would enable the creation of webapps that would work on larger format touch surfaces, like monitors or multitouch screens. I'm getting tired of having to recreate elements of programs for every project.

SVG, BTW, is a format that has many different partners working on it. Apple has used portions of it within their Pages and Keynote programs, and I hope that eventually one will be able to work with SVG shapes in CSS as easily as you can in those two programs (I'm tired of simple rectangles for holding text all the time. )

bobmane
7 Aug 2010, 7:35 AM
i see what you are saying...I agree...my only real concern right now is avoiding replicating work.

the true killer app is one that solves the problem or replicating design across devices and platforms...

that's what I was hoping ST and Co. was/does/will do...

but I guess for now...making a webapp (assuming one instance for multiple devices) and a desktop app could be considered less replicating than a desktop and a few native apps. (hurry up and wait!)

nosarious
7 Aug 2010, 8:11 AM
Well, considering the browser is mostly invisible on a mobile device (web apps can be saved to homepage on ipad/iphone) I would really like to see the ability to do so on a desktop as well.

Safari saves an archive, but is still looks like safari when you open it. LIkewise Chrome, the closest open source browser.

What would be really really nice is to be able to use the engine of chrome or safari within your web app so it looks like your app is a standalone. None of the overhead of the web browsing system, just the engine that handles the display and use of your web app on the desktop. (no browser wars about whether or not your client needs chrome or safari because the webkit engine 'rendererer' is built into your web app.)

Thankfully, for my project I don't need to have it super-backwards-compatible so it works on ie or firefox. It's a sideways benefit that the system actually behaves on the desktop for safari and chrome as it is...

bobmane
7 Aug 2010, 5:15 PM
that would be great

but the firefox thing for me.... a bit depressing that it is not working...

nosarious
7 Aug 2010, 7:23 PM
well, rapheal is supposed to work with firefox.

bobmane
8 Aug 2010, 3:57 AM
is that to say that a deveopelr has to make a "rapheal" version or there is a translation process of an already built webapp

bobmane
9 Aug 2010, 12:09 PM
I found this interesting: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/svg-or-canvas-choosing-between-the-two/

When should you not use these technologies? There are pure HTML + CSS-based solutions for things like rounded corners, transitions, drop shadows and transparency. You should also consider a JavaScript library such as jQuery UI (http://jqueryui.com/). Ask yourself if you really need SVG or Canvas at all, or if you can make your project only with pure HTML + CSS. SVG is a mostly presentational markup, and SVG experts are a lot less common than HTML junkies. HTML is a lot more common, more cross-browser compatible, and it has richer non-presentational semantics. Choosing SVG over HTML + CSS purely for presentational merits may not be the best choice.