PDA

View Full Version : New user, really confused

lchurch
7 Aug 2010, 1:16 PM
I have downloaded the ST development environment and installed it in my Eclipse dev environment. But the "getting Started" documentation discusses JavaScript files and other matters, and no where mentions the use of the IDE to develop an application. So how does all this tie together into one application? Is there a "beginner's (novice) guide"?

nosarious
7 Aug 2010, 4:12 PM
Sencha Touch is a javascript framework. It allows you to create a web app, which would normally consist of (at the minimum) an html file, a javascript file for the program, the Ext-Touch javascript along with it's own css file, and your own developed css file.

If you intend your project to be capable of offline presentation, you would also integrate a cache manifest file.

If you would like to wrap it in a package with a nifty bow that creates an application that one could sell/purchase on the application store you would use something like Phonegap or another program.

As a framework Sencha can provide access to touch gestures on webkit-based devices, which saves you time. A huge amount of time since you don't have to recreate all of that yourself. The framework leverages quite a number of other technologies behind it as well.

But there is no IDE that I know of for it.

evant
8 Aug 2010, 8:14 PM
You can use any IDE you like with Touch. In the end you just end up writing JS and CSS, so you can use whatever development environment to achieve this.

Desimon
9 Aug 2010, 9:26 AM
But I repeat the question of lchurch:

Is there a "beginner's (novice) guide"?

jjfortuin
9 Aug 2010, 11:26 AM
no... basically you have to learn from examples, without any programming knowledge and html/js/css knowledge it's hard. If you don't know html/js/css go to w3schools.com

cabennett85
9 Aug 2010, 1:08 PM
Jesus Garcia has a book in development about learning ExtJS. I was new to all this a few weeks ago and giving that a read helped me start to pick up the basics of using the framework. While it's not a book specifically for Sencha Touch, Sencha Touch is built off ExtJS so using it is the same, you just have extra cool touch features added into ST.

So if picking up the basics is too tough for you as it was for me, then maybe investing in the book is an idea...

http://www.manning.com/garcia/

evant
9 Aug 2010, 4:23 PM
There is an introduction here: http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/touch/getting-started.html

It's not an introduction to Javascript, since there's plenty of places where you can find information on that.