PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials?

SimpleAnecdote
8 Aug 2010, 4:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Sencha products and am truly very impressed with the JS library as it looks like a well ordered JS framework (finally one exists!).

Now I know Touch is still in beta so the API documentation is my best bet (a confusing tool to a beginner). But perhaps there are some good tutorials you know of to familiarise myself with the framework that would have crossovers from other Sencha products?

Also, I mostly learn from digging around the code with a shovel and seeing what shapes I can make in the mud and what I can break. In the two hours since downloading the framework I've become familiar with the syntax but I am looking for a reference guide for attributes such as the numerous options of 'xtype', 'items', etc.

I tried Googling and have looked around in the forums for quite a while before posting this. I do apologise if this has been answered before. I simply couldn't find it.

Thanks for reading my rambles,
Matan Heimann.

nosarious
8 Aug 2010, 9:26 AM
There are several tutorials for understanding the Ext.js framework. Those may help you get a good understanding of how the javascript is built.

And of course the 'find a demo similar to what you want and take it apart to figure out how it works'...

SimpleAnecdote
8 Aug 2010, 5:16 PM
Thanks for the prompt response nosarious.

As I've mentioned in my original pot, my problem is finding the tutorials. If you could find it in yourself to take a few extra minutes and link me some of the ones you've mentioned I would be grateful (this, unfortunately, is not a currency nowadays btw).

Also, since my post I've been digging around the code and I think I'm getting along nicely syntax wise. I am mostly looking for a reference guide. I found a few lists in the API, but they're incomplete.

evant
8 Aug 2010, 5:20 PM
The wiki is a good source of information: http://www.sencha.com/learn

I'm not sure what you mean the API is incomplete. There's probably a few things there, but it contains a wealth of information.

SimpleAnecdote
8 Aug 2010, 5:35 PM
Thanks evant, I already found the wiki and it has been a trusted friend so far.

Apologies for my improper articulation. I meant the lists are incomplete, not the API itself (and I probably just can't find it, so I'm incomplete). I simply can't locate a reference guide for all the options for each attribute. For example, an 'xtype' options list. I found http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/touch/docs/?class=Ext.Component but that only refers to stuff to do with that particular class. The 'xtype' ultimately has more options.

Of course, I'm only using 'xtype' as an example. I would also love to find all the options for 'layout' and most other attributes available in this excellent framework.

P.S.
I understand this application is still in beta and you guys are probably busy as hell trying to develop the thing. I am only asking if a reference guide exists (or the closes thing to one), not obnoxiously requesting one with my feet stamping.

SimpleAnecdote
8 Aug 2010, 5:36 PM
Thanks evant, I already found the wiki and it has been a trusted friend so far.

Apologies for my improper articulation. I meant the lists are incomplete, not the API itself (and I probably just can't find it, so I'm incomplete). I simply can't locate a reference guide for all the options for each attribute. For example, an 'xtype' options list. I found http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/touch/docs/?class=Ext.Component but that only refers to stuff to do with that particular class. The 'xtype' ultimately has more options.

Of course, I'm only using 'xtype' as an example. I would also love to find all the options for 'layout' and most other attributes available in this excellent framework.

P.S.
I understand this application is still in beta and you guys are probably busy as hell trying to develop the thing. I am only asking if a reference guide exists (or the closes thing to one), not obnoxiously requesting one with my feet stamping.