PDA

View Full Version : How to get a tooltip to span multiple frames?

dougbieber
3 Sep 2010, 9:45 AM
I'm using a TreePanel, replacing a legacy product. In the far left frame I have a tree. In the right-hand frame I have other content. With our legacy product, whenever a mouseover on a folder or leaf occurs a tooltip pops-up which spans both frames.

Using the "qtip" option on a TreeNode I certainly get a tooltip, but it stays w/in the current frame. The reason for the tooltip is to give a richer description of the folder/leaf item. This tooltip description is too wide to fit in the TreePanel frame.

How do I get a TreeNode tooltip to span multiple frames? Thanks.

3 Sep 2010, 10:56 AM
you can't pop up the frame above itself the document.body.

dougbieber
3 Sep 2010, 11:01 AM
you can't pop up the frame above itself the document.body.

I'm sorry. I don't understand. Can you elaborate? (Good book, by the way)

3 Sep 2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks ;).

You can't elevate (Z-index) an element above its document.body, therefore, you can't do what you're looking to do.

dougbieber
3 Sep 2010, 11:18 AM
Well someone managed to figure it out in a different product. We're using a rather dated javascript library for our tree. Their tooltips will popup across frames as you can see in this image. Maybe they're playing some trick with "top"?

3 Sep 2010, 11:23 AM
That's not a tooltip, that's most likely the "title" attribute of an element. That's not an Ext JS tooltip, which extends Panel, which uses Divs.

http://tdg-i.com/img/screencasts/2010-09-03_1522.swf

dougbieber
3 Sep 2010, 11:28 AM
I'm looking at the generated source code. You're absolutely correct. <a title="blah"... Thank you for your help.