PDA

View Full Version : 0.96 default background

jep
30 Sep 2010, 3:00 PM
So is the new default background in 0.96 there to make sure we always specify exactly what we want for a background? ;)

davidkaneda
30 Sep 2010, 5:42 PM
Don't like it? I just liked the thought of using a pattern to show how the background is a fixed position-

jep
30 Sep 2010, 9:39 PM
It's really not THAT bad. I was just being a bit snarky. I just think it's a little dated, and it's a fairly bold background to use as the default. Imagine if Windows shipped with this as the default background. It's also possible I noticed it more because I use ST with desktop Safari and the iPad, so a much larger window. Perhaps it looks a bit more muted on a smaller screen.

touchy
2 Oct 2010, 2:28 AM
Maybe in ext-touch-debug.css it would be OK to create awareness, but shouldn't be in ext-touch.css. One reason is who knows what browser one day has a funky redraw method, and then it could cause extra artifacts. Good for developers, not good for product releases.

Animal
2 Oct 2010, 9:46 AM
It makes stuff unreadable:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p286/TimeTrialAnimal/IMG_0010.jpg

axxerion
2 Oct 2010, 11:25 AM
it is not a kind of good choice for such a serious project... however... i have my own extra .css where i just did

.x-fullscreen, .x-list { background-image: url(../../images/mobile/mybackground.png);} and that is it.

davidkaneda
3 Oct 2010, 4:10 PM
Hey all, this was a test... Just FYI: In the next version, I'm aiming to have a few patterns available, and the ability to set a background color, all via SASS/Compass variables. More info to come, but thanks for the feedback :)

graham_alton
4 Oct 2010, 12:10 AM
"Hate" is a bit strong but lets just say I really don't like it. Then there's the usability of it too, stuff is indeed unreadable.

Animal
4 Oct 2010, 12:20 AM
Almost any "textured" background will make text difficult to read. I do not see any point in fancy backgrounds for business applications.

We're not writing games here, and we're not making "websites". Plain is good.

steve1964
4 Oct 2010, 1:57 AM
Totally agree, i think background must "reflect" the chosen theme but without any kind of texture, i mean with light theme a light gray, with dark theme a dark gray and so on...

kevinv1990
5 Oct 2010, 4:31 AM
Well, I prefer a white/grey background too, thx for the code axxerion!

It's not that bad, but if there will be more backgrounds available I might use them, it's quite handy!

mikeyroy
5 Oct 2010, 9:22 AM
The background was a bit more persistent in my situation, probably because I use layered background images on startup, so this was the css that killed it off for me:

.x-fullscreen {
background:none;
}

body > .x-fullscreen, body > .x-list {
background-image: url(../img/tile.png);
}

In the future please consider doing only things in CSS that will have the least amount of impact on custom designs that users have created. I agree with simply using solid colors that reflect a theme's design.