PDA

View Full Version : List Scroll Slow in 3G

mcfisher83
8 Oct 2010, 1:29 PM
Any tips on how to best optimize the scrolling of a grouped list on an iphone 3G? It is awefully slow and takes not quick to respond to the scoll motion. The list itself is small, just took it from examples in the API documentation.

jay@moduscreate.com
10 Oct 2010, 7:44 AM
If you are using ios4 on a 3G, everything is slower.

mcfisher83
10 Oct 2010, 8:43 AM
I wasn't using ios4, actually once I turned off the pinned headers it was at least acceptable performance at that point. The pinned headers code was what was really slowing it down.

gabrielstuff
11 Oct 2010, 12:32 AM
The pinned headers ? what do you mean exactly ?

mcfisher83
11 Oct 2010, 7:28 AM
The 'pinHeader' attribute. Basically it seems the code which detects and then replaces the topmost header for a group was causing the slow down. I kept the list grouped but I turned off the pinHeader to get the performance to be closer to a native app. However on the iPad and iPhone 4 the pinned header did not cause that slow down.

mikeyroy
11 Oct 2010, 9:01 AM
Same on Android, the simpler you make the lists the better the scroll, it's something that needs to be fixed and soon. Good to know it's not just on Android. I plan on implementing page up/down arrows as an interim resolution since we have a live app out there, as well as adding search in a few areas to cut down on the amount of scrolling users have to do. Scroll was better in past versions but the faster scroll also triggered screen freezing on some Android devices which is unacceptable, so I think they made the scrolling muddier intentionally but right now it's frustratingly usable instead of somewhat acceptable.

jnadler
3 Jun 2011, 11:44 AM
Anyone come up with a way to work around this?

I have a Ext.List with grouping and 100 items. Testing on Android (Droid X, 1Ghz, should be fast) the scrolling is slow/unresponsive. I'm not using pinHeader.

It gives the user that "je ne sais quoi - this thing isn't a real native app" feeling. Exactly not what I was hoping for.

Using SenchaTouch 1.1.0