PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to purchase a commercial licence for my company's new web app?

K. Siva Prasad Reddy
30 Nov 2010, 8:08 PM
Hi,

I am web/java developer and we need to develop a web application with rich UI.
After evaluating many RIA frameworks(jquery, dojo, extjs) what we concluded is ExtJS is very rich in its look and feel, number of widgets.

Our client is some XYZ company providing IT services to their customers. If we use ExtJS in our web application and host it on a server(i think this kind of usage is commercial usage), do we(development firm) or our client(XYZ Company) needs to purchase commercial license for ExtJS?

After going through ExtJS licensing, what I understood is, If I use ExtJS for developing a product and I am selling the Product then I do need to purchase a commercial license. Do I need to purchase license for ExtJS even for Web Application development also?

Thanks,
Siva

griffiti93
30 Nov 2010, 9:44 PM
Your client's web application would need to have an Ext license, unless they were planning on sharing the source code and releasing it under the GPL. Simply include the cost of the license in your development work for the client.

http://www.sencha.com/products/license.php

K. Siva Prasad Reddy
30 Nov 2010, 10:38 PM
Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

But in this case we can't go ahead with ExtJS. The web application that we are going to implement would include the implementations of their business processes and they(probably many companies) might not be willing to open source their business implementation details.

Is this the case for other libraries(JQuery, Dojo, YUI) also??

Thanks,
Siva

mankz
1 Dec 2010, 12:14 AM
I'd suggest you email [email protected] to get a clear answer to your questions :)