PDA

View Full Version : Aral Network Chat (with jabber server)

AndreaCammarata
14 Dec 2010, 3:00 PM
Hi guys!
As I promise I post a video to demonstrate my Aral Network Chat module used inside my Aral CMS project.
This module will allow you to send simple text messages to all the users connected on the same network and even CSS3 animations in a msn animoticons style.
The application interface to a jabber server and make a massive use of XMPP protocol.
When I start to develop this module, I first start to use Node.js and socket.io but then i switch to XMPP because it offers me more flexibility and features then Node.js.

Take a look at the video

http://www.vimeo.com/17822722

I hope this can be useful to all the developers that want to create a real time comunication system without the use of WebSockets.
Please don't take too much care about the incompleted interface because this is still a work in progress.
Any feedback will be appreciated, and if you have question do not hesitate to ask ;)

Cheers

edspencer
14 Dec 2010, 3:26 PM
This looks awesome - how much of the iPad app is powered by Sencha Touch?

AndreaCammarata
14 Dec 2010, 3:28 PM
Thank you edspencer :).
You will be glad to know that is ALL Sencha Touch ;).

Osifer
14 Dec 2010, 5:13 PM
I just watched the video, I like the design and the animations... All except for the one for selecting who you're chatting with. Its really annoying and distracting having that person's icon pulsing in and out.

Any chance you could cut out the code which you made the carousel iphone like interface with the icons? :)

My programmer would love you. I'm going to show him this anyhow, thanks for replying to my thread.

tomalex0
14 Dec 2010, 8:41 PM
Hi andrea, impressive Home Page and overall App.

Seem you have not yet applied theme for your App?

Thanks for sharing :)

AndreaCammarata
14 Dec 2010, 11:58 PM
Hi tomalex0 and thank you for your feedback! :)
Yes you are right, I still have not applied a theme for my App, but I developed a system that will allow you to choose your own from many I'm going to create. The background animation is nice but it doesn't really fit with the rest of the application.
It was created only to demonstrate that the application supports theming and css animations.
The project will be released open source, so if someone whats to collaborate is absolutely welcome ;)

AndreaCammarata
15 Dec 2010, 12:04 AM
Thank you for your feedback Osifer.
I absolutely agree with you, the pulsing icon is not really the best solution I already decided to develop something different.
Any suggestion would be appreciated ;).

Regarding cut out the code which you made the carousel iphone like interface with the icons, it is really hard at the moment because I developed a lot of extensions of standard Sencha Touch components to makes all works together, but I assure you is not really hard to implement, if you want I could explain you my approach if it could helps you.

mrsunshine
16 Dec 2010, 1:51 AM
Nice work man *thumbs up*

AndreaCammarata
16 Dec 2010, 2:15 AM
Thank you mrsunshine!

gabrielstuff
6 Jan 2011, 2:05 AM
Hi !
Very nice work.
Congrats !

AndreaCammarata
6 Jan 2011, 2:06 AM
Thank you for your feedback gabrielstuff!

AndreaCammarata
19 Jan 2011, 12:53 AM
Hi guys!
I develop a new real time file sharing feature beetween users.
Now you can sync any kind of file to your application with iTunes and share them with all the online users.

Take a look at the new video in this post.
http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?121563-Real-Time-File-Sharing-iTunes-Files-Sync-%28Aral-CMS%29

Hope you like it.
Cheers ;)

openthesky7
20 Jan 2011, 2:33 PM
Nice work! Awesome Home Screen : )

AndreaCammarata
21 Jan 2011, 1:43 AM
Thank you for your feedback openthesky!
Glad you like it ;)

gabrielstuff
18 Apr 2011, 12:21 AM
Hi !
Could you give some details about architecture of the app.
I'd like to develop a chat service, and I'm wondering whereas to use XMPP server, that I manualy configure or find some webservices allowing to provide CHAT services.

Thank you !

AndreaCammarata
28 Apr 2011, 7:12 AM
Hi !
Could you give some details about architecture of the app.
I'd like to develop a chat service, and I'm wondering whereas to use XMPP server, that I manualy configure or find some webservices allowing to provide CHAT services.

Thank you !

Hi Gabriel,
we are already talking by Skype about this :).
(Just to let it know to the community that I don't ignore members help requests ;) )

kholy
3 Nov 2011, 7:22 AM
nice work! this stuff is awesome! i came accross this when looking into building a simple livechat for my website to offer to customers. Im still trying decide what would be best approach to offer a live chat service to customers on my website so if you have any input or direction you can point me. thanks!

AndreaCammarata
8 Nov 2011, 8:44 AM
nice work! this stuff is awesome! i came accross this when looking into building a simple livechat for my website to offer to customers. Im still trying decide what would be best approach to offer a live chat service to customers on my website so if you have any input or direction you can point me. thanks!

Thank you for your feedback kholy :)
My application use a Jabber server installed on my server, but to do that, you should be familiar with XMPP protocol.
However, I suggest you to take a look at Sencha.io messages features.

You can get more informations about it reading the following blog post.

http://www.sencha.com/blog/introducing-sencha-io-the-first-mobile-html5-cloud/

Hope this helps.

stevwinata
12 Nov 2011, 8:08 AM
nice stuff..congrats Andrea,=D>=D>, what difference with using sencha.io, can u tell the pros. about this?i can't see where you wrote nice trick for this. perhaps.;):)

AndreaCammarata
9 Dec 2011, 7:59 AM
nice stuff..congrats Andrea,=D>=D>, what difference with using sencha.io, can u tell the pros. about this?i can't see where you wrote nice trick for this. perhaps.;):)

Thank you for your feedback ;)
Well actually the project is slowed down and I honestly don't know when I'll have the time to put again my hands on that :). But I think I'm going to write something on my website about it just to explain how this can be achieved thanks to XMPP protocol and the developed Sencha Touch custom library ;).
However, Senhca.io is really interesting because it will allow you to send messages in real time.
So I suggest you to experiment with this technology when Sencha will release the first official stable version of it.

Hope this helps.