PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] HTML Tags in HTMLEditor break Posting to Server...

wdmarin
20 Dec 2010, 3:37 AM
I have an HTMLEditor in an FormPanel. The editor's value will post back to the server just fine unless there are any HTML tags in it. Then it never makes it to the server and there are no JS errors that I can see. I have debugged this for hours with no insight to where the issue lies. I am sure it must be an encoding issue, however changing the encoding doesn't help.

The same thing happens if I type any HTML tags into a text field in the same form.

I have searched widely but have not yet found any posts about what seems to be such a fundamental issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

- David

Foster
20 Dec 2010, 4:01 AM
Hello David,

I use the HtmlEditor component in my app to make ordered/unordered lists and the ul li ol tags all go back and forth properly, and show up in proper html form. I didnt do anything special like "allow html" but maybe there is some encoding issue with your store like you are investigating.

What do you see going across in firebug?

Are you sending back and forth in XML or JSON?

Foster

wdmarin
20 Dec 2010, 4:13 AM
Foster,

Thank you for your quick reply.

With the HTML tags in either the HTMLEditor or any textfield, and it must be a tag, not just the <>/ chars, there is no response that can be seen in firebug.

This has me thinking that the issue might be with the back end, which is ASP.NET 4.0 MVC 2. So I am trying to debug it there. I need to first figure out how to see if the request is getting to the server.

Thanks again,

- David

wdmarin
20 Dec 2010, 4:28 AM
Foster,

Your statement that you have experienced no problems helped finally shake me loose from my false assumption.

The problem was, in fact, on the server. Now I know that ASP.NET MVC 2 validates all posts and gets and disallows any that contain HTML tags. Unfortunately for me, it does this quietly!

So, all solved.

Thanks again,

- David