PDA

View Full Version : Authentication options/best practices?

WBX
28 Dec 2010, 3:32 PM
I'm trying to educate myself on EXT JS. I'm experimenting with the REST functionality and I'm trying to figure out the best way(s) to handle authentication.

I read the article on RESTful Web Services and the section on authentication here: http://www.sencha.com/learn/Manual:RESTful_Web_Services#HTTP_Authentication. The article is almost three years old and based on a version of EXT JS prior to the addition of full REST support so I'm not sure how applicable it is. It was informative but the workaround options outlined seemed less than optimal. I looked briefly at the ext-basex library but it wasn't clear if it was compatible with recent EXT JS versions and at first glance it didn't seem to be applicable when using the "restful" config option for the relevant Store classes.

I was hoping that some folks would be willing to chip in with how they're handling authentication, whether using REST or other mechanisms. I'm also curious to hear whether people prefer using REST vs Ext Direct vs ____ for backend connectivity and any related best practices/pros/cons. Any other references for reading would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

P.S. I'm using Java/Spring/Spring Security on the backend.