PDA

View Full Version : Startup performance

wellsbr01
10 Jan 2011, 4:00 PM
Hi,

I have an app that has a single panel with a single list inside (it can be dynamically replaced by something else, so...), but it is taking over 40 seconds to start up over 3G.

This seems very odd, because we are talking lightweight here.

Anybody has a clue?

Thanks in advance.

W

jay@moduscreate.com
11 Jan 2011, 12:52 PM
does the slow startup occur during the kitchen sink demo?

wellsbr01
12 Jan 2011, 5:51 AM
Kitchen sink went into the realm of 23 seconds, although much faster, still quite slow. But Kitchen Sink has no startup image, our app has one, that should count.

I wonder if the problem is not the start up cycle of Sencha Touch itself.

Are there any docs of such cycle?

jay@moduscreate.com
12 Jan 2011, 5:54 AM
I think it has to do w/ IOS 4, and not so much w/ sencha touch. IOS4.2 is an improvement from 4.0 but still is terribly slow. I run the sencha demos on my 3.1.3 edge iphones and have no issues w/ them.

wellsbr01
12 Jan 2011, 6:21 AM
In fact, these times were measured in an iPhone 4 with iOs 4.

But are there any means to speed it up anyhow? If I enclose it with Phonegap does it get some thrust or does it add time to the start up process?

Also, I don't use a huge load of the Sencha's components, is there a way to toss out what is not used? For me it is barely dead weight that end up downloaded and initialized (at list compiled). Kind of a separation in packages or the like. If there was a dependency map somewhere, we could adjust the jsb3 scripts accordingly

jay@moduscreate.com
12 Jan 2011, 6:34 AM
OK, when you say "over 3G", you're talking about the network. I interpreted it as the 2nd iphone, known as the "3G". My apologies for that.

Is your server using gzip to compress the data? There is something called Sencha Command, which will allow you to build custom Sencha packages based on what you've used. I don't think it's available yet, though.

The startup should be slow at first, but subsequent loads should be really fast due to browser caching.

mschwartz
12 Jan 2011, 6:36 AM
Maybe the server isn't sending the .js files gzip encoded?