PDA

View Full Version : ExtJS vs ExtGWT

mxhn
13 Jan 2011, 11:24 PM
Hi,

1. When starting a new application, what are the things that you weight out in order to decide whether to go with ExtGWT or ExtJS?
2. For a programmer that knows both Javascript and Java, what is best to choose?
3. Are there still performance issues with ExtGWT compared to ExtJS - back in 2008 people said that ExtGWT is slow for adding a large number of DOM nodes compared to ExtJS but they enjoyed the debugging support ExtGWT provided while in ExtJS debugging is hard and painful
4. How do you find development in ExtGWT compared to ExtJS? Is the compile time of an ExtGWT app an issue - I saw it takes about 10-15 seconds to generate the JS classes while in ExtJS this is not an issue.

Thanks.

renku
14 Jan 2011, 2:00 AM
I think you should first try both by yourself. Nobody is at better position to determine your needs than you. Then at least you will have some feel of how ExtJS is v/s ExtGWT.

PS. I should note other readers that you have cross-posted this question also to ExtGWT forum. (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?121093-ExtGWT-vs-ExtJS&p=560979)

PPS. I pretty much agree with the answers provided over there, although I'm personally biased against the Java language.

mxhn
14 Jan 2011, 4:45 AM
Thank you for replying.

You are right - I'll do some tests myself but I just wanted to learn beforehand from other's experience so I don't make the choice without being informed. I was hoping there were some cases(like ExtJS is faster in some scenarios, how is the development for someone that experienced in both these frameworks, and other objective things) that someone encountered or heard about that would be important in taking a decision.