PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse JSDT and Ext JS coding

leizz
31 Jan 2011, 6:55 AM
Hi,

We are developing applications using Eclipse/RAD tools. When working with Ext-JS code within the Eclipse JSDT, some useful IDE features do not work properly - such as Outline, code-assistant and library management.

By searching the forums and learning the Eclipse JSDT help, it seems that the problem comes mainly from two facts of Ext-JS:

Extensive use and Ext.extend to create new classes;
The way Singletons are defined and declared;

I wonder if anyone has success experience with Ext-js and Eclipse by any way? Is it possible to define custom JS classes in the way that regular Java classes are defined (allows the JSDT outline feature to work), but still keep the benefit of using Ext.extend ?
Or does anyone know of Eclipse plugins that can help with ExtJS and JSDT on above IDE issues?

Thanks.

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 6:57 AM
try using spket or aptana plugins for editing your JavaScript. JSDT has always been pretty weak for JavaScript in general. The JS editor in Zend Studio is a lot better.

leizz
31 Jan 2011, 8:43 AM
Thank you for the suggestion.

Tried Spket plugin but it is extremely slow. Whereever I click in the IDE workspace, it takes anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes to see the hour glass disappear.

I'm using Eclipse 3.4 (RAD7.4).

leizz

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 8:44 AM
Why are you using Eclipse?

leizz
31 Jan 2011, 8:45 AM
it's the company choice - it's a web/portal project and JS is just part of it.

leizz

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 8:50 AM
I asked because I never liked Eclipse, even though I basically used it for a full year doing development. It's a pig and slow and really hard to figure out how to install things for it. As well, beyond Java development, the things people implement for it (like JSDT) are in varying states of usefulness - mostly not so useful.

I've always liked Netbeans better, and it does really well with JavaScript. It's not perfect by any means, though.

I don't have a Java requirement, so I'm using Komodo Edit, which is free. I liked it so much I dropped the $300 for the IDE version. For JavaScript and PHP, it just rocks.

leizz
31 Jan 2011, 11:54 AM
I tried the standalone version (1.6.18) which is packaged with Eclipse 3.3 and it is quite fast.

It seems that the problem comes when having the plugin version with RAD together.

leizz