PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tested with webOs and Sencha Touch?

aw1zard2
9 Feb 2011, 3:12 PM
With the HP Live event today just wondered if anyone has tested this yet or not?
I know not with the new versions of webOS but coming soon HP plans on having tablets, phones, and pc's using webOS. This will make it come into the mainstream with the others.

Goto engadget to view the live blog coverage.

:)

doncoleman
10 Feb 2011, 5:57 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't work very well on my Palm Pre2. There are some webkit bugs that the team is supposedly working on. I haven't tried the latest SDKs.

The webOS SDK is pretty nice and the emulator runs in VirtualBox. Signup for a developer account at http://developer.palm.com and request access to the early access program to get the latest stuff.

markwyner
24 Mar 2011, 2:56 PM
In addition to iOS and Android I'm testing an app I'm building on a Palm Pre running webOS 1.4.5. Sencha Touch runs moderately on this platform. 90% of the issues are related to visuals. Everything loads zoomed way out like a typical website on a mobile device without any mobile formatting. So text isn't readable and buttons aren't clickable. Unless, of course, you pinch to zoom.

While most of what I've tested so far is functioning, it's a little clunky. But with a theme that targets webOS I think you could build a simple app with Sencha Touch. I'm going to work on a theme for webOS. When I get it finished I'll create a post in the examples area of the forum and link to it from here. It's not on the top of my list to finish that theme, but it's on my list.

anucreative
24 Mar 2011, 4:21 PM
@markwyner Try adding the viewport meta tag to the head of your html file. The Palm Pre will otherwise default to rendering your page at 960px. This should fix the issue of it being zoomed out.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; user-scalable=no"/>

markwyner
25 Mar 2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks, anucreative. I know and use that tag. However, I didn't know webOS supported it.

And as it turns out, Sencha Touch really does fail pretty bad in webOS. It's passable in most places, but scrolling doesn't work at all. So that's obviously a deal killer.

It would be great to see webOS support, but for now it looks like it's not a reasonable option.

rgporter
13 Apr 2011, 3:20 PM
If a theme gets done, definitely interested. Tried out our app today with the emulator -- the meta tag worked but the app was too tall and scrolled to get to the tab bar, base64 & masks seemed to be broken, and yeah, scrolling is nonfunctional sadly. Hopefully these can be fixed..

markwyner
13 Apr 2011, 3:46 PM
Because the functionality is still really spotty I abandoned working on a theme. Lipstick on a pig. But if Sencha Touch improves functionally within webOS I'll definitely roll out a theme and post it here.