PDA

View Full Version : best ExtJS IDE?

aarontm
22 Feb 2011, 6:50 PM
I tried using Aptana but it seems like the extension is supporting ExtJS 2.2 - perhaps this is fine and I am going to evaluate Spket IDE next, but I'm wondering what the hardcore users / devs are actually using for 4.0

MrSparks
23 Feb 2011, 1:57 AM
I recently evaluated a wide range of IDE's/Editors.
(my existing editor of choice was Coldfusion Studio 5)

Evaluation list

Aptana
CF Builder
Dreamweaver 2004 MX
Dreamweaver CS 3
Eclipse
EditPlus
IntelliJ Idea
Komodo
Macromedia HomeSite +
Notepad++
Sublime Text
Visual Studio 2010 Pro

My goal was to get a high performance Editor that provided Java script, EXTJS, HTML and Coldfusion support. i.e. syntax highlighting, colour schemes and tag suggestions.

I found that "Notepad++" was the best fit for my needs, even though the CF support is limited.

“Sublime Text” is a superb editor but lacks EXT JS and CF support.

I really wanted “IntelliJ Idea” to be the winner (Excellent UI and language support), however this suffered from performance & interface chug issues, as did pretty much all of the large footprint Editors.

LesJ
23 Feb 2011, 3:09 AM
I use:

MS VisualStudio
Notepad++
WebStorm

WebStorm 2.0 should be released soon.

http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/nextversion/index.html

steffenk
23 Feb 2011, 3:12 AM
As i do php + js, i prefer phpStorm - best IDE i ever used.

BlueCamel
23 Feb 2011, 4:40 AM
As i do php + js, i prefer phpStorm - best IDE i ever used.

So what's the deal with phpStorm vs WebStorm? Based on the feature pages alone, it looks like WebStorm has weaker PHP support than phpStorm and that phpStorm has weaker support for JavaScript, CSS, HTML than WebStorm.

bhutten
23 Feb 2011, 4:45 AM
So what's the deal with phpStorm vs WebStorm?

PHPStorm is WebStorm + PHP support. I use PHPStorm for ExtJS development as I also do a lot of PHP development - it's easily the best IDE I've ever used.

sg707
23 Feb 2011, 6:50 AM
See this thread I created recently

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?124315-JavaScript-Editor-that-use-JSB2-File&p=572117#post572117

Basically, Spket is your best bet or at least that's what I found out.

aarontm
23 Feb 2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys - I actually am an IntelliJ IDEA user (for Grails support), and while it's very robust it is just so damn laggy. I am checking out WebStorm now - hoping it's much more light weight

well also check out komodo and spket per other thread's suggestion

drian
23 Feb 2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys - I actually am an IntelliJ IDEA user (for Grails support), and while it's very robust it is just so damn laggy. I am checking out WebStorm now - hoping it's much more light weight

well also check out komodo and spket per other thread's suggestion

Did you try to only include the necessary js files? Aka - only the debug version of extjs, without the examples/docs/etc? I bet any IDE will lag if he's got to scan 600+ js files.

sg707
23 Feb 2011, 12:27 PM
re-edit

Wow... Web Storm works great!!! It understands what "Ext.define" means!!! incredible!

icflorescu
23 Feb 2011, 1:14 PM
Eric from Spket says he's working on a new version supporting Ext 4.x. So far (for ExtJS 2 & 3) Spket was in my opinion the best alternative.

PhpStorm/WebStorm has fantastic support for Ext and apparently it works well with version 4 too, but for some reason I couldn't get used to their strange way of implementing autosave in the IDE; basically your open files are always saved in the background, you can't discard changes except if you restore an old version from history... which is quite strange. I don't like the idea of not being able to control when/what/if I save in my IDE.

steffenk
23 Feb 2011, 2:45 PM
there is a tab at the bottom: changes, this helps keep tracking.

I also recommend to work with VCS, so autosave helps for easy coding (at least it does for me)

firefoxSafari
23 Feb 2011, 2:56 PM
Eric from Spket says he's working on a new version supporting Ext 4.x. So far (for ExtJS 2 & 3) Spket was in my opinion the best alternative.

This made my day :D

Upgrading to 4 just got a whole lot less scary for me!

drian
23 Feb 2011, 10:28 PM

PhpStorm/WebStorm has fantastic support for Ext and apparently it works well with version 4 too, but for some reason I couldn't get used to their strange way of implementing autosave in the IDE; basically your open files are always saved in the background, you can't discard changes except if you restore an old version from history... which is quite strange. I don't like the idea of not being able to control when/what/if I save in my IDE.

If i remember exactly there's also a setting to increase/decrease the time between savings. Honestly, i really like the autosaving feature as i don't have to worry about loosing my code. If you want to revert, there's the awesome local history they have which is something like a mini versioning sistem :)

gevik
23 Feb 2011, 11:14 PM
I use NetBeans IDE both for ExtJS and PHP

westy
24 Feb 2011, 3:21 AM
Was using Komodo Edit, but have since found Sublime Text, and love it's speed and Goto Anywhere feature.

Not looked at Spket or Webstorm though, will have a look.

Christiand
24 Feb 2011, 4:48 AM
Using netbeans here also (for PHP with ZF support). I'm open to try other options as lately I'm doing more and more Extjs less and less PHP. Netbeans JS / ExtJs code completion is awfull :( remoteSave is great and easy to use.

Gonna try webstorm when 2.0 is release. Their UI is awfull but I can live with it if the rest is better then Netbeans.

westy
24 Feb 2011, 5:41 AM
Not looked at Spket or Webstorm though, will have a look.

Well, tried them.
Crikey, so slow, as are any desktop apps that use Java in my experience; gonna stick with Sublime I think... I like the fact with Sublime a project is not confined to a directory tree (something that's new to me and will be hard to let go of), so can have my source (across multiple repos), and the Ext source all in the same project, and be able to open any of the classes with a few typed chars :)

I'm pretty convinced that proper, correct Ext auto-completion (or even JavaScript for that matter) is impossible anyway.
It's such a free, unconstrained language, allowing you to extend or hack any object or function that takes your fancy, how on earth can anything actually offer completion for it without actually running the code, and analysing what is there after executing each line?

MrSparks
24 Feb 2011, 5:54 AM
@westy

Have you added EXTJS language support to Sublime? If so, how? :)

firefoxSafari
24 Feb 2011, 6:19 AM
I'm pretty convinced that proper, correct Ext auto-completion (or even JavaScript for that matter) is impossible anyway.
It's such a free, unconstrained language, allowing you to extend or hack any object or function that takes your fancy, how on earth can anything actually offer completion for it without actually running the code, and analysing what is there after executing each line?

Spket makes extensive use of JSDoc attributes. I think this is a better approach for JavaScript than trying to do analysis on the code itself, especially if you're trying to support multiple frameworks each with their own inheritance mechanism. I can't speak for the other editors, though I would assume the ones with good code completion look at the JSDoc too.

westy
24 Feb 2011, 6:24 AM
Have you added EXTJS language support to Sublime? If so, how? :)

Not for auto-completion purposes no, but adding the source directory to a project lets you type CTRL-P, Grid, say, to open the GridPanel code.

You can complete variable names though, for what it's worth.

westy
24 Feb 2011, 6:26 AM
Spket makes extensive use of JSDoc attributes. I think this is a better approach for JavaScript than trying to do analysis on the code itself, especially if you're trying to support multiple frameworks each with their own inheritance mechanism. I can't speak for the other editors, though I would assume the ones with good code completion look at the JSDoc too.

Ah right, yeah, seems fair enough :)

I know that VS2010 attempts to run your code in the background, so can do crazy stuff like:

var foo = 1;
foo. // offers number methods

foo = "some string";
foo. // offer string methods

Clever, but am not convinced by the editor itself for js.

LesJ
24 Feb 2011, 2:48 PM
...just released

http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/index.html

MrSparks
25 Feb 2011, 5:14 AM
Not for auto-completion purposes no, but adding the source directory to a project lets you type CTRL-P, Grid, say, to open the GridPanel code.

You can complete variable names though, for what it's worth.

Great, i'll give that a go. :)

icflorescu
28 Mar 2011, 7:20 AM
Today Spket plugin for Eclipse got a quick update to support ExtJS 4:
http://forums.spket.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1866

aarontm
28 Mar 2011, 1:31 PM
nice - I am going to install this now

Today Spket plugin for Eclipse got a quick update to support ExtJS 4:
http://forums.spket.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1866

Beginner1971
12 May 2011, 8:22 AM
Hi, I'm not asking about the best IDE. Instead, I'm looking for an IDE for a specific feature. What I'm looking for is an IDE with autocomplete/intellisense for inside a config. So far, I've tried Komodo, Aptana and Visual Studio 2010. While all three provide some sort of autocomplete/intellisense, none of them seem to support autocomplete/intellisense within a config block. Since a bulk of Ext JS code is in the configs, I would love to find an IDE that supports this. Can anyone recommend a tool that supports autocomplete/intellisense within a config?

ssamayoa
12 May 2011, 8:41 AM
What I'm looking for is an IDE with autocomplete/intellisense for inside a config.

I think none has such feature.

Regards.

magdoz1959
18 Apr 2012, 12:11 PM
I try to buy the WebStorm Licence but I don't have any good answer from this co.
I'm stupid or this co don't have very good sell policy...

Anyway, Spket it's one very good ide.

ssamayoa
18 Apr 2012, 12:24 PM
Did you take a look at Sencha Architect?

Still lacks some features that you have in eclipse and/or aptana like reformat, refactoring, code completion but is a matter of time to have it.

Regards.

magdoz1959
18 Apr 2012, 12:25 PM
Hi,
ExtJS and JasperSoft ? I'm begginer in Ext.
Can I have from You Sir/M'am some example code ?
I work over 25 years with RAD tools and the ExtJS it's one very big challenge for me !
Best Regards from Afrika,
Zoltan

magdoz1959
18 Apr 2012, 12:39 PM
Yes, I check already. My big problem it's with the base class. In my last project's I use one base class and I use everywhere. I can't make same thing in the Arhitect. For me, it's one verrry big issue. Of course, I can make duplicate and toolbox save, but it's not usefull for me. So, I use designer/arhitect to design my desktop app screen and copy/paste... the generated code.
Maybee, I must to read more...

ssamayoa
18 Apr 2012, 12:51 PM
Can I have from You Sir/M'am some example code ?

Is not so simple...

My ExtJS report viewer component talks to JAX-RS service (implemented as Stateless Session Bean) wich in turn geta a CDI Session Bean injected which is the responsible of storing loaded and generated reports.

Which RAD tools you used?

PowerBuilder? Oracle's Developer? VB? Delphi?

Regards.

magdoz1959
18 Apr 2012, 12:59 PM
Hi,
I see, You Sir, we use very another kind of tech.
I use Magic, Oracle and Dephi 5-7 with DevExpress.
I almost forget the SAP. Sorry.

You know, in this programming systems I don't have any kind of programming issues, It was only the workink concept !

Thank You for Your help, I hope, after some time I will be more better in ExtJS Prog.

joeri
20 Dec 2012, 6:55 AM
In case anyone is considering webstorm, jetbrains are doing a 75% off sale today (and their servers seem to be melting under the load).

Christiand
20 Dec 2012, 7:33 AM
this is what I have been using, over netbeans and Zend Studio and I really like it. The product has consistent update and is really fast (on my machine anyway). I recommend it!