PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 9

Tegud
10 Mar 2011, 12:24 AM
Hi,

Given that we are now 4 days away from the release of Internet Explorer 9, officially, and we're about to have a whole load of people using it from that point onwards (to be honest, the RC has been downloaded many millions of times so we already have this problem). Is there an official line on ExtJS 3.3's support for internet explorer 9? Can we expect a minor revision in the next few days?

By default ExtJS still identifies IE9 as IE6, the worst possible outcome. I've hacked together a solution in the short term which involves telling ExtJS it's chrome, when its IE9, but that's not exactly production environment material. Given ExtJS's lack of support for compatibility mode, the lack of support is extremely problematic and the lack of official response on this is making me very very nervous.

Thanks,

Steve

tangix
10 Mar 2011, 1:41 AM
Spent some time getting my projects running in IE9 and I'd just want to share my observations.

Projects are using Ext JS 3.3.1 running on Apache. They are running fine in IE6/7/8 but testing with RC of IE9 we saw that almost all click events behaved badly (ComboBoxes did not drop down for example) and that some elements were rendered wrong (cropped DatePickers).

The solution that we have and that now works with IE9 RC is using the following DOCTYPE (we have the same for all pages served to all browsers):

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Also, we have forced IE to emulate IE7 (which has been working for IE8) and it is important that this META tag is literally the first tag in the HEAD section - I had a blank line between the <HEAD> tag and the <META> and it did not work!

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" >The following directives were added to Apache to set the headers:

BrowserMatch "^.*MSIE 8.*$" handle_ie8
BrowserMatch "^.*MSIE 9.*$" handle_ie9

<Location />
Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=EmulateIE7" env=handle_ie8
Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=7" env=handle_ie9
</Location>

One pain in the neck we noticed when using the Developer Tools in IE9 is that once you have change the Document or Browser Mode or Page it sticks and does not obey the settings from Apache's headers or the META tag. I do not know if this have something to do with my setup but installing a fresh VM with IE9 RC and not touching these settings in the Developer Tools did the trick.

In IE8 it just works - the Developer Tools picks up the settings from headers and page META regardless of if you have changed the Document Mode.

So we now a site that works in IE9 and behaves as expected - yeah!

lukefowell89
10 Mar 2011, 3:15 AM
Microsoft should just give up on IE, its been a sinking ship for the last 5 years really. Now that people realise there are alternative browsers, they all see how poorly designed & developed IE really is.

Within 2 years IE will hold less than a 1/4 of all internet users

tangix
10 Mar 2011, 4:16 AM
Yes, but it still too early to stop supporting IE users...

conorarmstrong
10 Mar 2011, 6:16 AM
This is going to be an admin nightmare starting next week when end users start getting automatic updates. An update for IE9 support for v3.3 is sorely needed.

Dev team - any word of the update or ETA on this?

The implications of this not forthcoming are going to be MASSIVE.

Witchfinder
10 Mar 2011, 8:29 AM
Microsoft should just give up on IE, its been a sinking ship for the last 5 years really. Now that people realise there are alternative browsers, they all see how poorly designed & developed IE really is.
Within 2 years IE will hold less than a 1/4 of all internet users
Whilst your ability to see into the future is impressive, your contribution to this thread is about as valueless as the act of fitting wheels to a tomato. IE is a major browser, version 8 still representing 35% of the market share. Even if you are correct concerning IE's future market share, it would be incredibly short-sighted to fail to support 25% of all internet users.

Onto business - it seems that a lot of what was done in Ext JS to support earlier versions of IE was "hacky," and can probably be dispensed with for IE9. From what Steve says, tricking it into thinking you're using Chrome seems to work almost perfectly. Assumption can be dangerous, but based on this, it doesn't seem far fetched to imagine that an IE9 fix should be pretty easy going.

lukefowell89
10 Mar 2011, 8:56 AM
If you actually take in my point from my previous post, I did not once, nor ever say that it isn't worth supporting for people who still use IE. I was merely saying that IE has been "poor" at the best of times compared to other browsers, and was making a comment that the brain-dead developers at Microsoft behind it should move on to something worthwhile and stop infecting the majority of naive, unaware consumers with the Internet Explorer "Infection".

The 1 and only reason IE is used, is because the majority of people do not know any better. Based on a recent browser popularity poll, 1.6% of people voted IE as their favourite browser, compared to Firefox & Chrome who help a combined ~85%.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Witchfinder
10 Mar 2011, 9:11 AM
Would you care to cite your browser popularity poll?

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php indicates a greater-than-forty-percent share for IE, lagging only five percent behind the combined share for both Firefox and Chrome. Hardly the dead duck. Have you even used IE9?

Microsoft have improved IE and Windows drastically over the past couple of versions, and it's near-sighted to discount Microsoft's engineers as "brain-dead."

mmullany
10 Mar 2011, 12:57 PM
We will be adding support for IE9 in both Ext JS 4 and Ext JS 3. Since we won't have final IE9 until Monday, we can't yet say exactly how long it will take us to ship support because we won't know until then exactly what's in there. But we're definitely on top of it.

Microsoft has promised "some surprises" in the final release.

lukefowell89
11 Mar 2011, 1:54 AM
@Witchfinder

If you had any common sense you would realise that what you have linked is not a popularity poll, it is statistics based upon browser usage, giving actual figures of what is used, not what is preferred. Alot of employees, schools and businesses have no choice but to use IE.

I have seen and used IE9, and although the interface has become nicer in my opinion (Copying Chrome) they have not delivered what they promised to. They were boasting the best HTML5 support, but what they didn't outline when they shared this information was just a subset of HTML features not all of them. As well as the fact that there JavaScript engine is slow and "clunky".

Knowing that Microsoft has huge resources at its disposal, years and years of experience in developing web browsers. I would have thought they would be able to come up with something a little more impressive. It is by far the worst browser for customisation (plug-ins and add-ons) which is something that makes Firefox more desirable. It is slower than every other modern browser, taking up to 3x longer to perform basic tasks. Therefore describing the Microsoft Browser Developers as brain-dead maybe a little harsh, but not too far off the money.

tryanDLS
11 Mar 2011, 8:17 AM
Closing thread - original question regarding IE9 support has been answered and this isn't the place to debate the merits or lack thereof, regarding IE.