View Full Version : GXT Combobox or GWT SuggestBox?

21 Mar 2011, 2:00 AM
Ok, At my work im supposed to create a search in a combo/suggestbox.

I want my search to start when the third letter is entered. en I want to make a servlet call with those letter so I dont have to get my entire database which is pretty big,

Ive been wondering how people solve problems like that and if you which you recoment combobox or suggestbox?

best regards

21 Mar 2011, 3:12 AM

Im talking about Gxt ComboBox and Gwt SuggestBox

21 Mar 2011, 3:33 AM
Try taking a look at this sample:

It does probably something similar to what you need.

21 Mar 2011, 3:44 AM
Im going to try that sample.. thanks

21 Mar 2011, 1:16 PM
I have a similar case implemented with SuggestBox. I have mine implemented with a Timer to detect when the user stops typing but I think you could just as well count the characters typed.

There's some work, mainly the implementation of your own SuggestOracle and related classes.

I admit I never even considered using a ComboBox for that kind of case. The link Michel suggested might be an easier way, I only had a brief look and didn't want to spend the time trying it all out. But if not, I can share my SuggestBox related code as an example.

22 Mar 2011, 12:48 AM
.... I can share my SuggestBox related code as an example.

22 Mar 2011, 7:33 AM
Id be greatfull if you posted your example, it might help me if I choose to use the SuggestBox

22 Mar 2011, 9:46 AM
OK, in attach. Classes are used with SuggestBox as below. As you don't have the rest of the application, you might have some questions. I'll provide an e-mail address by private msg.

SuggestBox searchBox = new SuggestBox(new SearchSuggestOracle(..., ...));
searchBox.addSelectionHandler(new SearchEventHandler(this));