PDA

View Full Version : Ext JS vs Sencha Touch - best way to learn

supermonchi
23 Mar 2011, 10:38 PM
What's the difference between Ext JS and Sencha Touch?

I'm looking at J. Garcia's book "Ext JS in Action" and looking at the table of contents alone, I got the impression that the two platforms are quite similar or derived from similar sort of common foundation.

Would I benefit from reading this book if I want to learn Sencha? I've only just started learning Sencha for 2-3 weeks now, and though I am getting some successes, I feel like I'm missing a lot of the steps in between, and a lot of time and effort spent getting frustrated not knowing what to do or where to look.

I have done some Javascript programming a few years back but I would still consider myself a beginner. I know PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS quite well. I have also experimented with Ruby on Rails and Django, though I didn't get very far with those.

I've followed Andrew Neil's screencasts which I found to be a very good introduction, but I want to dig deeper and really understand the whole thing properly. I have also been dissecting the Kitchen Sink which is again very very helpful, but still I find once I started mixing components I often don't know where to start. The API docs have been great though they can be much much better with more code examples.

What's the best way to learn Sencha the quickest? How did/do you guys learn it?
Any suggestions?

supermonchi
23 Mar 2011, 10:48 PM
First question answered:
http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?127097-Sencha-Touch-vs-Ext-JS

jay@moduscreate.com
24 Mar 2011, 4:40 AM
Ext JS in Action will assist you with giving you a foundation with Sencha Touch, but things change quite a bit. For instance, the way you register models and stores change. The way you think about applications in the desktop browser versus the mobile browser change as well.

Sencha Touch in Action will be going in MEAP soon.